Diversity Recruitment: Ask Catalyst ExpressSep 09, 2019
To leverage the competitive advantage of diversity, organizations must recruit from the total talent pool available to them. Traditional organizational practices and outmoded assumptions that focus only on overcoming barriers, rather than also leveraging strengths, can fall short in creating inclusive work environments relevant to today’s workforce. Successful organizations tap the talents of a diverse employee base, ensuring a spectrum of valued opinions and ideas on products and services. The following will assist in evaluating existing recruitment practices as well as creating a recruitment strategy that is built into, and aligns diversity with, an organization’s overall business goals.
Catalyst Resources on Diversity Recruitment
- 7 Things You Can Do to Recruit Women of Color
- Five Things You Need To Know About Our New “Break The Cycle” Toolkit
- Can You Spot The Gender Bias In This Job Description?
- A Bright Spot Case Study: How Diverse Slate Policies Help Close the Gender Gap Supporter Exclusive
“The companies highlighted in this case study all have won the Catalyst Award for cutting-edge initiatives that address the recruitment, development, and advancement of all women, including diverse women, by adopting diverse slate policies or practices.”
- General Motors Corporation—Recruiting, Advancing, And Retaining Women Of Color Through The Multicultural Women’s Affinity Group Supporter Exclusive
“Affinity groups play a major role in General Motors’s efforts to recruit, retain and develop employees and help market vehicles and services to a diverse customer base. The Affinity Group for Women (AGW) is an umbrella body for many of their efforts to advance women. The AGW participates in campus recruiting drives and advises talent acquisition members on relevant recruitment issues for women and people of color. The existence of the AGW itself has attracted potential employees to the organization because it demonstrates that GM appreciates and values diversity within the company.”
- Scotiabank—A Recruitment Strategy For Women, By Women Supporter Exclusive
“[Global Banking and Markets] began to follow its work with undergraduate students by creating an initiative to encourage more women in business schools with a demonstrated interest in finance to consider careers in Capital Markets, thereby supporting efforts to increase the number of women in the industry’s talent pool.”
- Alcoa Inc.—Building Opportunities For Women In A “Hard Hat” Company Supporter Exclusive
“Alcoa also incorporates robust metrics and accountability in recruiting and hiring processes. Global workforce metrics are analyzed and presented on a quarterly basis by each of the business unit presidents in front of their peers; targets are determined through continuous talent discussions within the Executive Council that also consider the needs of each region. In addition, for every hire, at least one-third of the candidate pool must be diverse, including at least one woman.”
- Break the Cycle – Eliminating Gender Bias in Talent Management Systems (see also: French translation)
- Be Inclusive Every Day
- Women And Men In Canadian Capital Markets: An Action Plan for Gender Diversity
“Part 1: Attraction and Recruitment” provides actionable advice on four key issues that can contribute to the loss of potential women candidates in a male-dominated industry.
- Design and Implement Customized Policies
- Break the Cycle—HR Experts: Eliminating Gender Bias From the Recruitment Process Supporter Exclusive
- Break the Cycle – Managers: Eliminating Gender Bias in Development Opportunities Supporter Exclusive
- Break the Cycle—Senior Leaders: Self-Assessment and Action Plan Supporter Exclusive
- Making Change: Developing a Diversity Recruitment Strategy Supporter Exclusive
- Vital Signs: Determining Actions For Inclusive Policies And Practices Supporter Exclusive
- Take Action Now
- Catalyst Inclusion Accelerator Supporter Exclusive
- Advancing Women in Tech-Intensive Industries: Transforming Organizational Cultures Supporter Exclusive
An interactive tool with organizational self-assessments, suggestions for how to take action, and examples of corporate practices to help your organization become an employer of choice for high-potential women throughout the pipeline.
- 5 Actions Managers Can Take To Break The Gender Bias Cycle Supporter Exclusive
- 5 Actions Managers Can Take to Break the Gender Bias Cycle – Asia-Pacific Supporter Exclusive
Other Resources on Diversity Recruitment
- Diversity Recruitment DiversityInc
- Looking For Bold Recruiting Approaches? Best Practices For Recruiting STEM Women and Diversity Candidates, Part 1 + Part 2 ERE Media
- How “Blind Recruitment” Works And Why You Should Consider It Fast Company
- The Rise of Strengths-Based Recruitment HR Magazine
- Trends in Diversity Recruiting: U.S. Employers Weigh In U.S. News & World Report: Money
- How to Increase Workplace Diversity Wall Street Journal
Return to Ask Catalyst Express.