Catalyst: Your ERG
Strengthen your organization’s diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives with effective ERG programs, resources, and our Advisory Services to help align ERGs to business goals.
What are ERGs?
Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are voluntary, employee-led groups based on shared characteristics or experiences and provide a platform for employees to connect, share ideas, and work together to address workplace issues. ERGs may also be known by different names—Affinity Groups, Business Resource Groups, Diversity Groups, Employee Network Groups, Business Network Groups, Enterprise Resource Groups, Councils, Forums, and more—depending on the organization and focus.
ERG impact at the workplace
ERGs offer numerous benefits to organizations and help promote DEI in several ways, including:
- Building community: ERGs are a safe space for employees to connect with others that share their identity or experience and foster a sense of community and belonging.
- Provide resources: ERGs can provide the support and resources employees need, including career development opportunities and mentorship programs. ERGs can help employees from marginalized groups level up and obtain some of the benefits other employees have traditionally have enjoyed.
- Advocating for change: ERGs can be champions for change within an organization. This includes raising awareness on bias, developing DEI programs and strategies, employee recruitment and retention, and an engaged talent pipeline for advancement.
- Impacting the business: ERGs can help businesses understand cultural and regional differences. They can also help build meaningful relationships with community partners that align with the company’s values, leading to a more inclusive future for all.
Types of ERGs
While ERGs vary from one organization to another, here are some of the most common types:
- Gender-based ERGs: These groups focus on supporting and empowering members and allies based on gender identity or expression.
- LGBTQ+ ERGs: These groups provide support and advocacy for LGBTQ+ employees and work to create an inclusive workplace, raise awareness, and address issues related to LGBTQ+ rights.
- Ethnic and Cultural ERGs: These groups aim to support employees from various backgrounds, nationalities, or cultural identities. They may promote cultural awareness, provide networking opportunities, and celebrate diversity.
- Parents and Caregivers ERGs: These groups provide support and resources for caregivers and working parents. They focus on issues relating to work-life balance, parental leave policies, child and senior care, and provide resources and networking opportunities.
- Ability ERGs: These groups support and advocate for employees with disabilities and neurodivergent individuals. They focus on awareness and education, advocacy for policies and practices, job accommodations and support, and social events and networking that support neurodivergent individuals.
Our Advisory Services team can support you with ERG launch sessions, help you update ERG models, or help align ERGs to business goals. Advisory Services is fee-for-service and a Supporter exclusive. For more information about Advisory Services, contact [email protected]
Catalyst has everything you need to succeed with ERGs, whether you’re an experienced ERG leader, member, executive sponsor, an HR or DEI practitioner, or someone interested in starting or revamping ERGs at your organization. Our Supporter Organizations get access to the following resources:
ERG Discussion Guides
Tools to facilitate open dialogues on various DEI topics.
ERG Tool Kit
All the resources needed to create, engage, launch, measure, and refine ERGs.
Best Practices From Catalyst Award-Winning Initiatives
An interactive tool to help you learn how ERGs benefit your organization and create a more inclusive workplace.
150+ organizational practices to help tackle DEI and business challenges, including those from Catalyst Award winners.
On-demand access to DEI knowledge and success stories.
ERG: Ask Catalyst Express
Curated resources, including Catalyst Supporter-exclusive resources.
Join us at one of our upcoming events and learn from ERG leaders and DEI experts on how to engage allies, develop partnerships, and implement best practices.
Join us this June and enERGize your workforce!
JUNE 7, 2023 | ONLINE
enERGize by Catalyst is an online learning event for leaders of employee resource groups (ERGs) committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). Access research-based, innovative solutions to build cost-effective ERGs that drive inclusion, employee engagement, and retention.
Catalyst is recognized by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP®️ or SHRM-SCP®️ recertification activities.
Attend enERGize and gain 4.75 PDCs towards recertification! A program code will be provided after the event.
enERGize ERG Event
June 7, 2023
Employee Resource Group leaders, members, allies, and executive sponsors from various companies, industries, functions, and regions come together to explore how ERGs can maximize impact for their business and cultural goals.
Trending Topic Webinar: Exploring the Impact of ChatGPT, AI, and Emerging Technology on Equity and The Way We Work
May 23, 2023
Join this webinar to learn more about the impact of generative AI and other emerging technologies on the way we work now and into the future.
SOLD OUT In-Person Roundtable: Intersectionality at Work: Viewing the World Through Different Lenses
June 7, 2023
In this session, we will unpack intersectionality and focus on the actionable take-aways from Catalyst’s report, Intersectionality: When Identities Converge
WEBINAR: Empathy: What Does It Mean for Asian and Pacific Island Communities?
May 10, 2023
Join this webinar to hear how organizations can meet the needs of this culturally diverse group with a specific lens on empathy.
Get in Touch
Contact your Relationship Manager to learn how to unlock the full potential of ERGs in your organization and create a more inclusive workplace culture.