My Career Toolkit: Work-Life Effectiveness
Flexible Work Arrangements
- CatalystX: Inclusive Leadership Training: Get Beyond Work-Life Balance: Free, self-paced online course offered by Catalyst, focusing on the importance of inclusive leadership in creating flexible and productive work environments.
- FlexJobs: Job search site specializing in professional telecommuting, part-time, freelance, and flexible jobs.
- Gov.UK: Flexible Working: Guide for professionals and employers to flexible working provisions in the United Kingdom.
- HR Council: Workplaces That Work – Flexible Work Arrangements: Toolkit that describes common flexible work models, benefits, and strategies for implementing them.
- The Sloan Center on Aging & Work at Boston College: Focus on Workplace Flexibility: Overview of workplace flexibility, describing types of flexibility, availability in public and private industry sectors, needs, benefits, and barriers.
Health and Family
- Career Intelligence.com: Articles on work-life effectiveness, health and fitness, time management, and stress.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Family Health: Health, wellness and safety tips for families covering a range of issues, including family health history, vaccines and immunizations, parenting skills, and health at school.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: LGBT Health: Publications, data and statistics on HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted diseases, viral hepatitis, HPV, violence prevention, adolescent and school health, and other health services for LGBT people.
- Ch.Ch: Family and Work: Overview of maternity leave, paternity leave, job protections for pregnant women and working mothers, family allowances, and childcare in Switzerland.
- Fair Work Ombudsman: Maternity & Parental Leave: Description of Australia’s maternity and parental leave policies, including guides for requesting and documenting leave.
- Family Values @ Work: Advocacy network promoting family-friendly work policies, including fact sheets and research publications on work-family topics, a database of contract language, a “story bank” of successful work-family narratives, and an action center to get involved.
- Government of Canada: Employment Insurance Benefits: Overviews of maternity, parental, and compassionate care benefits in Canada, including application forms and guides.
- Gov.UK: Government services for the United Kingdom, including descriptions and resources for maternity leave, paternity leave, and unpaid parental leave.
- HealthyWomen (HW): Resources on a variety of health topics for women, including pregnancy and parenting, aging, diet and nutrition, anxiety and depression, among others.
- Medline Plus: Information on health, wellness, disorders, conditions, drugs and supplements, clinical trials, and health news. From the US National Library of Medicine.
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare: Child Care and Family Leave Law [PDF]: Most recent revision of Japan’s provision of paid maternity leave. Includes statistics, explanation of revisions, flexible work arrangements, and health care requirements of employers.
- National LGBT Health Education Center: Educational programs, webinars, publications, and suggested readings on a variety of LGBT-related health topics, including HIV/STI prevention and treatment, behavioral health, cancer, and transgender health.
- National Partnership for Women & Families: Coverage of women’s legal issues, including health care, reproductive health, work and family, workplace fairness, and promoting equality-minded judges and courts.
- Up-Stand: Education and support in changing norms around what it means to accommodate and support pregnancies and families.
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Administration for Children & Families: Programs and guidance for families and children that promote economic and social well-being.
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Office on Women’s Health: Government-produced resource on women’s health, including an A-Z directory of health topics, federal reports, and news.
- U.S. Department of Labor: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA): Benefits entitling eligible employees to unpaid, job-protected leave for specific family and personal medical reasons, including child and parental care. Includes an overview, forms, fact sheets, and more.
- Federal Office for Migration and Refugees: Welcome to Germany: Children and Families: Aimed at migrants to Germany, this guide provides clear descriptions of legal rights and options for parental leave, childcare, and other family concerns.
- Working Mother: A lifestyle site aimed at working moms, including their list of top workplaces that promote flexible work and family-friendly policies.
- Workplace Fairness: Family Responsibilities Discrimination: Introductory guide to family caregiver discrimination in the workplace, including an overview of applicable legislation and suggested next steps.
This toolkit identifies organizations and resources that may be helpful for you no matter what your career stage.
Find an inclusive workplace with this list of resources.
Do you know your rights in the workplace and beyond?
Are you ready to embark on your own business venture?
Find a community of like-minded professionals that celebrates diversity and inclusion.