Catalyst Honors Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Gap Inc. for Diversity and Inclusion Efforts (Media Release)March 16, 2016
2016 Catalyst Awards Conference and Dinner Pay Tribute to Global Leaders’ Commitment to Advancing Gender Equality
NEW YORK, NY (March 16, 2016)—Today more than 1,600 guests, including CEOs, leading executives from top global corporations, professional firms, governments, NGOs, and educational institutions, gather for the prestigious 2016 Catalyst Awards Conference and Dinner held at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City. Presented by Catalyst, the global expert on gender diversity and inclusion solutions in the workplace, the annual events celebrate transformational leaders and corporate initiatives that accelerate progress for women in the workforce and the world. This year’s events include two very special accolades:
- The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, is being presented with a special commendation for his leadership in advancing diversity and gender equality. His historic first cabinet includes equal numbers of women and men, and he has inspired leaders around the world by championing women’s rights and bringing women into the broader political dialogue.
- Gap Inc.’s game-changing corporate initiative, Women and Opportunity, is being honored with the 2016 Catalyst Award, which showcases innovative organizational approaches with proven, measurable results that address the recruitment, development, and advancement of women. Gap Inc.’s global initiative and strategy align all efforts related to the advancement of women, including headquarters and store employees, customers, supply chain workers, and women in its greater community.
“We appointed a gender-balanced cabinet because we believe that governments should reflect the people they were elected to represent,” says The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada. “We will continue to show leadership and set an example that I hope will be followed everywhere—from national governments to student body governments.”
“Gap Inc. is committed to a culture of equality, where everyone has the opportunity to stand as equals and thrive,” says Art Peck, CEO of Gap Inc. “This tradition was established by our co-founders Doris and Don Fisher, who opened the first Gap store in 1969 as equal partners. We are honored and grateful to receive the 2016 Catalyst Award, and we remain committed to the values of equality and inclusion, unlocking new possibilities for our company and the people touched by our business around the world.”
“We celebrate the groundbreaking efforts of Prime Minister Trudeau and Art Peck and his leadership team at Gap Inc.,” says Deborah Gillis, President & CEO, Catalyst. “They have worked tirelessly to take intentional and deliberate steps that help to ensure that women have equal opportunities to advance to leadership. They come from different sectors but share a commitment to gender parity, demonstrated by senior teams where women and men are equally represented. We need global leaders and companies like them more than ever. They’ve set an example for the world, prioritizing inclusion and celebrating differences—and inspiring others to fight for gender equality and equal pay.”
The celebratory Catalyst Awards Dinner is one of the most prestigious and broadly attended events in the business community.
Earlier in the day, the Catalyst Awards Conference, sponsored by Target, will showcase the following solution-oriented sessions among many others:
- Breakfast featuring highlights from CatalystX, our Inclusive Leadership training courses hosted on edx.org, and the Leading With Inclusion suite of leadership development solutions.
- Luncheon fireside chat with Marillyn A. Hewson, Chairman, President & CEO, Lockheed Martin Corporation, who plans to discuss her career, her inspired leadership, and her advice for women on how to advance in their own careers.
- “Courage Counts: Inclusion Across Gender, Race and Ethnicity,” a panel on women of color featuring an editor from ESSENCE magazine.
- Closing session moderated by Juju Chang, Co-Anchor of ABC News’ “Nightline,” featuring senior executives from Gap Inc. sharing global strategies from their 2016 Catalyst Award-winning initiative.
Founded in 1962, Catalyst is the leading nonprofit organization accelerating progress for women through workplace inclusion. With operations in the United States, Canada, Europe, India, Australia, and Japan, and more than 800 supporting organizations, Catalyst is the trusted resource for research, information, and advice about women at work.
About Gap Inc.
Gap Inc. is a leading global retailer offering clothing, accessories, and personal care products for men, women, and children under the Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, and Intermix brands. Fiscal year 2015 net sales were $15.8 billion. Gap Inc. products are available for purchase in more than 90 countries worldwide through about 3,300 company-operated stores, over 400 franchise stores, and e-commerce sites. For more information, please visit www.gapinc.com.