Catalyst has been tracking the progress of women in corporate leadership in Canada since 1998. In our Financial Post 500 Census, we include an accurate accounting of the number of women corporate officers, their functional status, and the types of titles they hold. We also present the number of women corporate officers who are among the top earners at these companies, as well as other relevant breakdowns. This year marks the first in which the study is published in brochure format, highlighting only our key findings, with detailed Appendices available only online.
- Catalyst analyzed the corporate officers and top earners of each company in the Financial Post 500, which includes publicly traded companies, privately held companies, crown corporations, and co-operatives.
- In July 2006, Catalyst sent letters to our contact at each company to verify the total number of corporate officers, as well as the name, gender, title, and line/staff status of each officer. In addition, we confirmed the name, title, and gender of the most highly compensated individuals listed in the management proxies. Our verification rate in 2006 was 93.4 percent.
- For those companies that did not take the opportunity to verify their data, Catalyst has reported the unverified data we obtained from public records.
- Research teams audited all data multiple times, comparing printouts from the database with the verification from companies and public records to ensure accuracy.
- The report represents the gender diversity of corporate leadership at FP500 companies as of June 2, 2006.
Lead Sponsor: American Express Canada
Participating Sponsors: INCO Limited; Linamar Corporation; McKinsey & Co.