Board Value Proposition:
Public Policy and Change Management Expertise
- Provided strategic advice on complex public policy challenges, change management and government transformation to clients in Canada and abroad, including conducting a comprehensive review of Nova Scotia’s taxes and regulations.
Transformative Strategy and Fiscal Responsibility
- As a senior Cabinet Minister, implemented transformative strategies to bring expenditures in line with Ontario’s fiscal realities, to modernize regulatory and funding regimes, and to establish stronger and more robust accountability measures including: the development of comprehensive strategies to modernize child-care services; to improve the delivery of children’s mental health services; and to transform Ontario’s $1.4 billion child welfare system.
Strong Leadership on Complex Social Issues, and Public Policy Expertise
- Tackled the issue of bullying in Ontario schools and worked to better protect and preserve Ontario’s drinking water following the Walkerton tragedy.
- Developed and led a number of cross-ministry strategies, including Ontario’s Domestic Violence Action Plan, Sexual Violence Action Plan, and Air Quality and Climate Change Plans.
- Diversified Financials
- Health Care Equipment & Services
Public Policy Forum Board of Canada 2016 to Present
Government of Ontario Cabinet 2005 to 2013
Treasury Board/Management Board 2013
Toronto Government Caucus 2007 to 2009
Representative Association Des Parlementaires Francophone du Monde 2003 to 2005
Cabinet Committee on Justice, Intergovernmental and Aboriginal Affairs 2003 to 2004
Child Abuse Advocacy Centre – Board of Directors of the Gatehouse 2001 to 2003
Nova Scotia Business Inc. 2015 to Present
President and CEO
Broten Public Policy International Inc. 2013 to 2015
President and CEO
Province of Ontario 2009 to 2013
Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs (2013)
Minister of Education (2011-2013)
Minister Responsible for Women's Issues (2009-2013)
Minister of Children and Youth Services (2009-2011)
Government of Ontario 2007 to 2013
Vice-Chair and Member of Treasury Board/Management Board (2011-2013)
Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Health and Longterm Care (2007-2009)
ICD D, University of Toronto, 2013
JD, University of Western Ontario, 1993
BA, McMaster University, 1990
BSc, McMaster University, 1989