Transgender Inclusion: Ask Catalyst ExpressOct 15, 2020
Transgender refers to people whose gender identity, expression, or behavior is different from those typically associated with their assigned sex at birth. “Transgender” is an umbrella term that includes a diverse group of people. As a group within the LGBT community, transgender women and men face unique barriers. A truly effective diversity policy includes all aspects of diversity, including gender identity and gender expression. This guide helps employers create more inclusive workplaces for transgender employees—and thus, all employees.
* For resources on creating an LGBTQ+-inclusive environment, please see LGBTQ+ Inclusion: Ask Catalyst Express.
Catalyst Transgender Resources
- What Is Gender? A Tool to Understand Gender Identity
- Infographic: Flip the Script: Transgender in the Workplace—Actions Supporter-Exclusive
- Infographic: Flip the Script: Transgender in the Workplace—Words Supporter-Exclusive
- Infographic: LGBTQ+ Terms to Know
Design and Implement Customized Policies
- Global Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Inclusion: Advocating Change Across Contexts Supporter Exclusive
- Supporting LGBT Inclusion: A How-To Guide for Organizations and Individuals Supporter Exclusive
- Making Change: LGBT Inclusion—Implementing Policies, Programs, and Practices Supporter Exclusive
- Toronto Dominion Bank Group – Creating Leaders and Unlocking Human Potential: LGBTA Inclusion at TD Supporter Exclusive
- Sexual reassignment surgeries for transgender individuals are now covered across North America for all TD employees.
- TD reached out to a number of well-known LGBTA organizations in the United States and Canada, leveraging their knowledge and expertise to create the “TD Workplace Gender Transition Guidelines,” a detailed, 10-page document available company-wide and posted on the intranet for all employees to access. This tool, which has been successfully leveraged since 2010, is intended to help ease the transition process for employees who have made the decision to transition.
- The Chubb Corporation—Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Inclusion at Chubb Supporter Exclusive
- Despite a lack of transgender employee visibility, by inviting a transgender spokeswoman from the financial services industry, Chubb was able to put a face on the issue that resonated with management and led to the inclusion of protections for gender identity and gender expression in its policies.
- McKinsey & Company – Global LGBT Inclusion Supporter Exclusive
- McKinsey’s policies include:
- Expanded non-discrimination policy to include sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Broad transgender health benefits for employees across the globe, ensuring no exclusions for any and all medically necessary healthcare.
- Driving LGBTQ+ Inclusion During the Disruption: The Strategic Advantage of ERGs Supporter Exclusive
- LGBTQ+ and Gender Expression Supporter Exclusive
- LGBT Pride Month (Chubb Group of Insurance Companies) Supporter Exclusive
- (23:50- Corporate Sponsor of the LBGT ERG discussing transgender inclusion; 48:41- Starting transgender medical benefits)
- Transgender Inclusion at Work Supporter Exclusive
Other Transgender Resources
- GLAAD Media Reference Guide – Transgender GLAAD
- Cultivate a Trans-Inclusive Workplace HBR Ideacast
- Talking About Pronouns in the Workplace Human Rights Campaign
- About Transgender People National Center for Transgender Equality
- LGBTQ+ Definitions Trans Student Educational Resources
Policies and Practices
- Creating a Trans-Inclusive Workplace Harvard Business Review
- Transgender Inclusion in the Workplace: Recommended Policies and Practices Human Rights Campaign
- Collecting Transgender-Inclusive Gender Data in the Workplace and Other Surveys Human Rights Campaign
- Gender Transition in the Global Workplace: A Best Practices Study Based on IBM’s Comprehensive Approach IBM
- Managing Gender Transition in the Workplace (log-in may be required) SHRM
- Employing Transgender Workers (log-in may be required) SHRM
- Gender Identity: How Should an Employer Handle a Transgender Employee’s Request for a Name Change? (log-in may be required) SHRM
- Gender Identity: How Should a Company Handle Issues Related to the Use of Workplace Restrooms by Transgender Employees? (log-in may be required) SHRM
- Model Transgender Employment Policy Transgender Law Center
Promoting Inclusion and Preventing Bias
- Transgender Inclusion: Start the Conversation Human Rights Campaign
- Tips for Working with Transgender Coworkers Transgender Law Center
Return to Ask Catalyst Express.