LGBTQ+ Inclusion: Ask Catalyst ExpressJun 13, 2023
Sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression—not to be confused with sexual activity or behavior—are personal characteristics that everyone has. Including lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning, and any other sexual or gender minority (LGBTQ+) employees is a vital component of a comprehensive diversity and inclusion strategy. Find out how to better recruit, retain, develop, and advance LGBTQ+ employees to help your organization compete effectively for talent, minimize attrition costs, enhance employee inclusion and engagement, and better access LGBTQ+ consumer markets. Check out all of our resources on this topic here.
A Note on Transgender Inclusion
Transgender refers to people whose gender identity, expression, or behavior is different from those typically associated with their assigned sex at birth. “Transgender” is an umbrella term that includes a diverse group of people. As a group within the LGBTQ+ community, transgender people face unique barriers. A truly effective diversity policy includes all aspects of diversity, including gender identity and gender expression. This guide helps employers create more inclusive workplaces for transgender employees—and thus, all employees.
Catalyst LGBTQ+ Resources
- Flip the Script: Sexual Orientation in the Workplace Supporter Exclusive
- Flip the Script: Transgender in the Workplace-Actions Supporter Exclusive
- Flip the Script: Transgender in the Workplace-Words Supporter Exclusive
- What Is Gender? A Tool to Understand Gender Identity Supporter Exclusive
- LGBTQ+ Terms to Know
- TD: Forever Proud. Forever Progressing. Supporter Exclusive
In 2012, Catalyst highlighted TD’s multi-pronged strategic approach to supporting and building an inclusive workplace for 2SLGBTQ+ colleagues. Now, over a decade later, TD’s work has expanded to a global initiative that centers on showing up for the 2SLGBTQ+ community every day by delivering a comprehensive suite of programs, benefits, support systems, and accountability mechanisms. This approach recognizes and addresses barriers to inclusion for the intersecting identities of those within the 2SLGBTQ+ community and creates positive impact for the bank’s internal and external stakeholders.
- Barilla: An Italian Family-Owned Company’s Journey to Global Inclusion Supporter Exclusive
Since the beginning of its journey, Barilla has made significant progress. From 2015 to 2021, Barilla has scored 100% on the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, and in 2017, it was the first company in Italy to support the Standards of Conduct for Business launched by the UN Human Rights Office to tackle LGBTQ+ discrimination in the workplace. Voce, the company’s largest ERG, has been instrumental in bringing LGBTQ+ voices to the forefront, including in countries where they are not culturally accepted.
- IBM – Leading the Cognitive Era Powered by the Global Advancement of Women Supporter Exclusive
LGBT+ inclusion is strong at IBM and reflects the company’s commitment to creating a workplace that works for everyone. Its LGBT+ constituency added the “plus” to fully encompass the various dimensions of diversity within the population and also include allies. IBM has 31 out executives in five countries and encourages voluntary self-identification. IBM provides benefits coverage for same-gender couples around the world, resulting in coverage for 94% of the IBM global population. IBM has used its influence to partner with supporting organizations (e.g., Lesbians Who Tech), compel insurance companies to cover LGBT+ couples, fight for legislation supporting bathroom access for transgender people, and dismantle bias to keep markets and communities open and welcoming for all talent.
- Creating New Norms for Gender Expression & Identity Supporter Exclusive
- Driving LGBTQ+ Inclusion During the Disruption: The Strategic Advantage of ERGs Supporter Exclusive
- Forging the Path to True Workplace Inclusion for LGBTQ+ Employees Supporter Exclusive
- LGBTQ+ in the Workplace: Belonging and Psychological Safety Supporter Exclusive
Other LGBTQ+ Resources
- 2SLGBTQI Terms and Concepts Egale
- An Ally’s Guide to Terminology: Talking About LGBT People & Equality Glaad
- Creating a Trans-Inclusive Workplace Harvard Business Review
- Corporate Equality Index Human Rights Campaign
- World Maps International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, and Intersex Association (ILGA)
- Acting with Pride: A Guide Supporting Businesses to Engage Authentically with Prides Around the World Stonewall
- Employment Resources Transgender Law Center
- The Business Impact of LGBT-Supportive Workplace Policies The Williams Institute
Return to Ask Catalyst Express.