Inclusive Leadership: Ask Catalyst ExpressMar 13, 2023
Years of documented research demonstrate that inclusive leadership plays an important role in making employees feel valuable and included, which has a positive impact on team and organizational performance. Inclusive leadership traits can be learned and should be continuously developed. Although we are born with biases, we can interrupt them and create better leaders and lift organizational performance.
- Getting Real About Inclusive Leadership
Catalyst research uncovered an updated model of inclusive leadership—Leading Outward, Leading Inward—that boosts an employee’s experiences of being valued, authentic, trusted, and psychologically safe at work. See individual country reports for Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Mexico, Netherlands, Singapore, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- Allyship and Curiosity Drive Inclusion for People of Color at Work
Catalyst research found that allyship and curiosity, two of the core inclusive leadership behaviors, should be at the heart of a manager’s leadership mindset in order to create a more inclusive, welcoming workplace.
- The Day-To-Day Experiences of Workplace Inclusion and Exclusion
This report explores inclusion and exclusion in more concrete terms by examining employees’ daily workplace experiences.
- 5 Strategies to Promote Inclusion: A Manager’s Playbook Supporter Exclusive
This tool is for team leaders, as well as anyone who manages a project or cross-functional group. It breaks down what inclusion at work looks like and shows you exactly how you can take steps to help all your employees feel included.
- How to Hold Your Organization Accountable to DEI Goals Supporter Exclusive
Focusing on accountability, one of the core behaviors of inclusive leadership, this interactive tool provides specific guidelines and tactics that DEI practitioners can use to hold their organizations and leaders accountable for DEI goals.
- Quiz: Are You an Inclusive Leader?
This quiz serves as a starting point for considering what strengths and areas of opportunity you have as a leader for building workplaces that work.
- Lead Outward and Lead Inward to Build an Inclusive Workplace
- Flip the Script: Leading Inward Supporter Exclusive
- Flip the Script: Leading Outward Supporter Exclusive
- Knowledge Burst: Running More Inclusive Meetings Supporter Exclusive
- Knowledge Burst: Leading Your Hybrid Team Inclusively Supporter Exclusive
Focuses on the inclusive leadership behaviors of Ownership and Accountability
- Knowledge Burst: Overcoming Conversation Roadblocks Supporter Exclusive
Focuses on the inclusive leadership behavior of Courage
- Knowledge Burst: Connecting Across Differences Supporter Exclusive
Focuses on the inclusive leadership behaviors of Curiosity and Humility
- Boston Scientific: Accelerating Progress for Women by Creating Equal Opportunities for Growth Supporter Exclusive
Boston Scientific added a qualitative element to its measurable goals by adding an inclusive behavior expectation to its People Leadership Commitment. Also, promotion announcements for employees at the director level and above now highlight their inclusive leadership behaviors.
- RBC: Speak Up for Inclusion Supporter Exclusive
For senior leaders to foster an inclusive culture, they must set the tone for employees by modeling inclusive leadership themselves. With this behavior, they enable the entire company to support inclusion at every level and in every region. CEO Dave McKay leads with “tone from the top” communications by speaking frequently in support of diversity and inclusion at the bank.
- Deloitte: Inspiring Women Supporter Exclusive
The most important element in creating a strong initiative is engaging firm leadership. Deloitte leaders understand that they are accountable for creating an inclusive environment and sponsoring talented women. The firm also introduced an internal Inclusive Leadership Assessment Tool to help participants recognize where they could improve.
- Leading with Equity and Inclusion Supporter Exclusive
- Now Is The Moment for Inclusive Leadership Supporter Exclusive
- Driving Innovation Through Inclusive Leadership Supporter Exclusive
- Inclusive Leadership Guides, Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion/Centre canadien pour la diversité et l’inclusion
- Inclusive Leadership: Steps Your Organization Should Take to Get It Right, Center for Creative Leadership
- The 6 Cs of Inclusive Leadership & How to Be an Inclusive Leader, IMD
- The Key to Inclusive Leadership, Harvard
Return to Ask Catalyst Express.