Board Value Proposition:
Mergers and Acquisitions Strategy and Integration and Organizational Transformation
- Executive role in merger between Suncor and PetroCanada in 2009: merger preparation and close; culture integration; new vision; values and strategy creation; organization design; communications, stakeholder positioning, and reputation management internally and externally; creation of Suncor Universtiy; realignment of all employees on same New Suncor HR programs; labour negotions completed; IT and business process integration and improvement; synergies accomplished.
- Completed many top-level organizational designs including Suncor’s historic CEO succession transition in 2012.
Executive Leader with Human Resources and Compensation Expertise
- As Senior Vice President, Human Resources and Communications and a member of Suncor Energy’s executive team for 16 years, grew company from a $2 billion market cap organization to over $60 billion.
- Improved internal and external communications, stakeholder relationships and consultations; focused on corporate social responsibility as part of sustainability strategy and commitment.
- Established Suncor University to develop leaders.
- As Founding President of Suncor Energy Foundation, shifted strategies from "Giving" to "Creating Sustainable Communities" in key communities where Suncor does business.
Seasoned Corporate Director Across Industries
- Have provided expertise in human resources, compensation, CEO succession, and governance to a number of corporate boards in a variety of industries.
- Integrated Oil & Gas
- Food & Staples Retailing
- Food Retail
- Industrial Gases
- Apparel Retail
- Electric Utilities
- South Africa
Waste Connections 2016 to Present
Empire Company Limited 2014 to Present
HR and Compensation Committee
Progressive Waste Solutions 2014 to 2016
HR and Compensation, Audit, Environment Health and Safety and Corporate Governance Committees
Bonavista Energy Corporation 2013 to 2017
Chair, Compensation Committee
Corporate Governance Committee
Holcim Canada 2012 to 2014
Environment and Occupational Health and Safety Committee
AltaLink 2011 to 2014
Environment, Health, and Safety Committee
Human Resources and Governance Committee
University of Calgary Board of Governors 2012 to 2016
Chair of Human Resources and Governance Committee
Institute of Corporate Directors, Calgary Chapter 2012 to 2015
Suncor Energy Foundation (SEF) 1998 to 2012
President and Chair
Volunteer Calgary Leadership Awards 2002 to 2011
Honorary SEF Chair
The Conference Board of Canada 1993 to 2008
Human Resources Executive Committee—West
Human Resources Executive Committee—National Advisory Committee
National Aboriginal Achievement Foundation 2001 to 2002
Taking Pulse Executive Steering Committee
Suncor Energy Inc. 1996 to 2012
Senior Vice President, Human Resources and Communications
TransAlta Corporation 1982 to 1996
Vice President, Human Resources
First City Trust 1980 to 1982
Manager, Human Resources Development
Koret of Canada 1979 to 1980
Silverwing Holidays 1978 to 1979
Edgars Group (South Africa) 1973 to 1978
Divisional Personnel Manager
Directors Education Program, Institute of Corporate Directors, 2006
Executive Development Program, University of Michigan, 1996
Post Graduate Honours Diploma, Graduate School of Business Administration, University of Witwatersrand, 1975
BA (Anthro. and Psych.), Rhodes University, 1972