Board Value Proposition:
A valued and trusted economic advisor who has a strong ability to see the big picture and the trends that will change our lives, and who has successfully contributed to a number of large global companies.
Economic Expert with Foresight
- In Summer 2008 briefed BMO’s Risk Management Committee of senior executives and the Risk Review Committee of the Board to warn of a potential collapse in the United States and possibly global financial system.
- First in bank to blow the whistle in August 2008, one month before the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers.
- Forecasted a deep US recession and continuing volatility and uncertainty.
Experienced Advisor to Corporate Boards, Governments, and Financial Institutions
- With responsibility for BMO’s country risk and industry risk analysis, briefed diverse corporate boards such as Walgreen’s, Axzo Nobel, Rio Can, and MDC Partners.
- Met with central banks on almost all continents to discuss financial and economic issues as they affected Canadian government bonds.
- Thoughout career, have advised and guided businesses, governments, and institutions in Europe, Asia (especially China and Japan), and the United States and Canada.
Strong Leadership Through Difficult Challenges
- At Burns Fry, as Chief Economist and Co-head of fixed income, was responsible for research and sales at a time when Canadian interest rates were dramatically above US rates.
- Oversaw company’s huge Japanese business and clients while Japan fell into a very deep recession.
Author and Well-Known Influencer
- Authored numerous publications in scholarly journals, a biweekly column in the National Post, and three books, including in 2001, Ride the Wave: Take Control in the Acceleration Age, which warned of the dramatic impact of the Internet, but also risks associated with the dot-com bubble. The New Retirement, published in 2008, was a blockbuster best seller.
- Diversified Banks
- Thrifts & Mortgage Finance
- Diversified Financials
- Consumer Finance
- Diversified Capital Markets
- Investment Banking & Brokerage
- Specialized Finance
- United States