Department: Global, Brand & Strategic Communications
Reports to: Editor
Location: NYC Office
Summary of Responsibilities
Catalyst is looking for a versatile, multi-platform Writer to join a busy Communications team. You will produce a wide range of content including articles, speeches, talking points, reports, info-graphics, op-eds, marketing collateral, training materials, and social posts. You must be a gifted storyteller who can channel Catalyst’s voice and style and take complex research and ideas and turn them into engaging, compelling content.
As the Chief Writer, you will write for different audiences, including corporate leaders and diversity and inclusion practitioners. Reporting to the VP/Editor-in-Chief, the Writer will collaborate with colleagues across Catalyst and play a critical role in furthering our mission to advance women in the workplace and create equitable organizations that have diverse and inclusive cultures.
- Work closely with Catalyst stakeholders to determine the most effective way to present Catalyst material and information
- Write (and ghostwrite) content as needed, including but not limited to: articles, speeches, op-eds, marketing collateral, and social and web content
- Write research reports, white papers, marketing collateral, videos, and social content.
- Must be able to spot holes in arguments, write cross platforms, and create compelling narratives are essential
- Copy, edit, and proofread when required
- Incorporate fact checking changes, edits, and shepherd through the editorial/production process
- Occasionally report and interview subjects and produce articles and other content for the Catalyst website
- Generate creative ideas for content
- Work with stakeholders to ensure accuracy of content and messaging
- Facilitate cross-departmental review/approval process as applicable
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to produce clear, accurate, and concise prose on complex matters
- Extremely strong editing/proofreading skills
- Well-versed in the rules of grammar, Chicago or AP style, and other stylistic and publishing conventions
- Ability to conceptualize and tailor writing to specific audiences and write in a variety of tones and styles
- Ability to multitask, manage projects, and adhere to tight deadlines
- Some knowledge of issues related to women in the workplace and/or diversity and inclusion
- Knowledge of SEO and best practices for writing for the web is a plus
- Experienced in WordPress, Microsoft suite of tools, and project management tools
- Ability to grasp the big picture as well as minute details
- Ability to work autonomously as well as with a collaborative team
- Ability to work creatively in a fast-paced culture
Catalyst offers a rewarding career with excellent benefits in an engaging, fast paced environment. You will handle heavy computer use, tight deadlines, and multiple priorities. Although you will be part of a close-knit team, you must have the ability to be highly effective while self-managed. Working at Catalyst requires flexibility and a willingness to adapt to frequent and often unexpected demands.
Education and Experience Requirements
- BA or BS degree required
- A degree in journalism or English is a plus
- 5+ years editing and/or writing for a mission-driven organization or similar
- Demonstrated commitment to Catalyst’s mission
- Clips/writing samples required
How to Apply
Due to the large number of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.