Director, Research – specializing in Culturally-Inclusive Practices or Race/Ethnic Studies
Reports To: VP, Research
Location: Virtual in United States
We’re a values-driven nonprofit that works with companies to help them build inclusive workplaces that work for women. Catalyst has been around more than 50 years, and our research is widely respected.
SUMMARY OF TEAM
Catalyst research is the foundation of all our solutions for creating equitable workplaces. We examine today’s work environments and employees’ experiences in them using a rigorous and innovative research approach. We use fact-based, scientific methods—including longitudinal panels and large-scale field studies—to explore barriers and measure success. We deliver primary and secondary research, tools, and knowledge products in four main areas: equity & inclusion, men advocating real change (MARC), future of work, and advancing women.
Come join a fun, flexible and interdisciplinary team with a passion for open dialogue, learning, and living our values. We share accountability, collaboration, and creative problem-solving leveraged to achieve business goals.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Catalyst is seeking a standout researcher to lead and support initiatives focused on equity and inclusion, particularly at the intersections of gender, race/ethnicity, nationality, cultural background, and other aspects of identity. The Director will build conceptual frameworks, design studies, collect and analyze data, synthesize findings, and create knowledge products for a business audience. Ultimately, this exciting role is responsible for working collaboratively to build an impactful research agenda to help organizations transform how they drive equity, fairness, and inclusion in the workplace globally.
- Builds, contributes to, and delivers a viable and integrated program of research focused on Equity & Inclusion in the workplace
- Makes unique contributions to the existing body of research, in areas including, but not limited to: gender, race/ethnic or cultural studies, culturally-inclusive workplace practices, communicating across difference, interrupting bias, or organizational change
- Supports the drafting of business publications and academic journal articles
- Builds content expertise with the goal of supporting internal stakeholders and cross-functional activities as well as participating in external speaking engagements
Project management and leadership
- Engages in project planning, oversight, team-based accountability systems, and organizational initiatives
- Manages staff and research fellows
- Has cultural agility
- Ph.D. or equivalent and documented achievements in applied social science research, specializing in culturally-inclusive workplace practices and race/ethnic studies
- Background in applied social research
- Strong facility in quantitative or qualitative data analyses, including statistical tools such as SPSS, SAS, NVivo or other advanced statistical or analytic software
- Recognized expert with experience as a primary investigator, capable of planning and executing large, multi-year, global research projects
- Adept in macro/systems and critical thinking with a background in cultural competence, social justice, empowerment, or inclusion theories and/or race/ethnic or cultural studies
- Ability to represent Catalyst in business communities, in relationships with other experts, at relevant conferences, and in high-profile speaking engagements
- Comfortable working with a highly virtual team environment with multiple reporting relationships and matrixed team structure
- Some travel may be required