Attorney and Director, Legal Affairs (Commercial/Technology/Compliance)
Location: NYC Office
Summary of Responsibilities
The Attorney and Director, Legal Affairs (Commercial/Technology/Compliance) is responsible for reviewing and negotiating commercial and technology contracts on behalf of Catalyst and assisting with Catalyst’s efforts to comply with data privacy regulations and establish a data protection and governance framework.
- Independently draft, review, and negotiate a range of commercial and technology transactions and other business-related documents with global vendors, partners, and clients, including IP licensing, SaaS, consulting, cloud computing, data vendor, goods and services, data protection, and contracts with data privacy and product cyber security implications.
- Liaise with staff where needed, including with IT regarding effort to upgrade infrastructure and renegotiate existing agreements.
- Support Catalyst’s efforts to develop and implement a data governance structure to ensure compliance with privacy and data protection laws on a global basis, including creation of policies and procedures to address use of PII, impact assessments, incident response, contractual templates for 3rd party agreements, and audit protocols.
- Respond to inquiries from clients, vendors, and internal business clients regarding privacy and cyber security standards and.
- Administer contracts, including tracking renewals and notifications.
- Assist in training and counseling staff on contracting process, data protection and use, privacy, and cyber security.
- Other projects as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent skills in drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial and technology contracts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of intellectual property law and licensing.
- Understanding of domestic and international data protection and privacy regulations and best practices.
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written), including ability to (1) tailor legal concepts to and understand the needs of internal clients with varying degrees of legal and contract knowledge; and (2) make succinct recommendations to manager and senior leaders.
- Organized, with a meticulous eye for detail, yet works efficiently.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines, follow-through, and work quickly.
- Adept at working independently but collaboratively on a team; responding to clients in a timely manner; and updating clients and manager on status of projects.
- Takes initiative in identifying new policies or improvements to contract templates, developing creative solutions, and implementing changes.
- Ability to leverage expert knowledge to persuade/influence clients and senior leaders.
- Discretion in dealing with confidential/sensitive matters.
- Computer proficiency in a networked Windows environment, including Word and Excel.
- Flexible workplace and department; excellent work-life balance.
- Multiple priorities, high volume, tight deadlines.
- Diverse and multi-faceted organization.
- Confidential issues and data.
- Collegial environment; team structure.
- Temporary, 1-year.
Education and Experience Requirements
This position requires a J.D. degree, admission to at least one (1) state bar, at least five (5) years’ experience practicing law, experience drafting and negotiating commercial and technology contracts, and understanding of global data protection and privacy regulations and best practices. Experience as in-house counsel, in a non-profit environment, and/or a commitment to social justice is desirable.
How to Apply
Please email your resume, cover letter and desired salary to [email protected] with “Attorney and Director” in the subject line. Due to the large number of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.