Reports to: SVP, Global Brand and Strategic Communications
Location: NYC Office
Summary of Responsibilities
Building our storytelling capability to drive market impact, the VP, Creative Communications works with the SVP, Global Brand and Strategic Communications to lead the revitalization of Catalyst’s messaging on a global level to amplify Catalyst’s brand, reputation, and profile in order to achieve strategic organizational goals. This role oversees a team of writers, graphic artists, and others to create and execute/support telling Catalyst’s corporate story in thought leadership and across all owned channels, including website, social media, external Supporter communications, and events. Key responsibilities include the development and execution of compelling and action-oriented thought leadership that helps companies put our ideas to work in an effort to achieve mission impact.
Storytelling and Creative Writing
- Lead the development of compelling stories that show the impact Catalyst has in building workplaces that work for women and inspiring others to do the same.
- Craft Catalyst’s corporate story and message platform with a special focus on creative storytelling so that all of our work is infused with real, human stories.
- Ensure our writing style and quality are consistent and impactful across all channels and in our support of all functions/departments.
- Connect and communicate the ‘heart and the mind’ aspects of gender equality and diversity in terms of the data/business case and the human stories of impact and progress.
- Execute thought leadership vision by partnering with the Research Team and other departments or contractors as needed to write, design, and publish Catalyst's positions on various facets of women in business in many formats, including: reports, case studies/success stories, blogs, infographics, videos, etc.
- Serve as lead writer on translating key research reports into engaging messaging that galvanizes action from Supporters and external stakeholders.
- Liaise with legal counsel on trademarking and copyright issues, manage use of content and materials, manage content use, and protect brand identity.
- Provide strong leadership, management, and mentorship for the Creative Communications Team, including direct reports: Art Director, Production Director, and Editor-in-Chief to drive creativity and enhance our brand.
- Continue to build on the recent brand refresh and manage the design, editorial, and production funnels with a strategic eye to ensure we are developing what we need, when we need it, to drive market impact.
- Focus on the details to meet deadlines, adhere to budgets, and ensure our quality of work is excellent.
Knowledge and Skills
- Superb writing, editing, and presentation skills; ability to adapt to and engage different audiences.
- Creative communications and corporate communications strategy development and execution experience.
- Corporate storytelling ability with strong skills in the ideation and development of compelling thought leadership in a variety of formats.
- Proven ability to understand research reports and technical/academic writing, absorb large amounts of information, and distill it into compelling and clear messaging.
- Global expertise and ability to define messaging and communications for varied markets/marketplaces.
- Seasoned judgment on external communications (corporate, government, social communities).
- Self-starter, creative, strategic thinker; operational experience and expertise.
- Ability to grasp the big picture as well as minute details.
- Experienced interface with C-Suite executives.
- Strong leadership, management, administrative, and supervisory skills with creative teams in high-pressure situations; demonstrated ability to manage budgets, projects, and the development of direct reports.
- Culturally sensitive with the ability to create content appropriate for a diverse international audience of business professionals.
- Strong sense of urgency, creativity, and decisiveness, coupled with the ability to perform with excellence under tight deadlines.
- Virtual team structure with need to accommodate multiple time zones.
- Some travel nationally and internationally (up to 15% annually).
Education and Experience Requirements
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree, with a graduate degree preferred. Minimum ten years of experience in corporate communications, marketing communications, or creative marketing, as well as strategy development and leadership experience. Global communications experience with a corporate/business background desirable.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “VP, Creative Communications” in the subject line. Due to the large number of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.