Board Value Proposition:
Financial Expertise and Audit Chair Experience
- Professional financial services, including viability assessments, monitoring, formal receivership and bankruptcy proceeding, acquisitions and divestitures, and financial turnarounds.
- Served in several financial leadership roles, including as CFO, with companies in a variety of industries.
- Experience serving as audit chair, corporate secretary, and treasurer in private and nonprofit sectors.
Operations, Mergers & Acquisitions, Organizational Transformation
- As COO of University of Alberta’s Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry (4,000 faculty and staff) lead the delivery of medical, dentisty, laboratory medicine, radiation theraphy, and advanced basic science education programs, in addition to health science research and clinical services. Portfolio has included finance, HR, IT, facility planning and security, philanthropy, and communications.
- Played key role in planning, funding, and construction of two highly specialized research buildings ($500 million capital cost), integration of physican recruitment and funding, successful completion with Advanced Education of expanded and new program funding, record fund-raising achievement and media outreach, and development of information systems supporting a $500 million operation.
- Successfully completed a merger of two universities and the financial consolidation of a major fertilizer processing plant acquisition and a Cuban mining operation, including three new subsidiaries and a joint venture with the Cuban government.
- Led the financial and operational restructuring of a publicly traded drug wholesaler/retailer, increasing the shareholder price 106% through to sale and privatization, and completed a major overhaul of corporate secretarial portfolio, managing Competition Act filings and a takeover bid process. Delivered enhanced statutory and annual reporting, which received two awards for excellence in public company reporting.
- Key executive team member executing a reorganization and transformation of Edmonton Northlands.
- Completed numerous financial assessments and reorganizations for lenders.
- Commercial & Professional Services
- Diversified Commercial & Professional Svcs
- Research & Consulting Services
- Consumer Services
- Casinos & Gaming
- Leisure Facilities
- Diversified Financials
- Other Diversified Financial Services
- Food & Staples Retailing
- Drug Retail
- Health Care Equipment & Services
- Health Care Services
- Life Sciences Tools & Services
- Diversified Metals & Minerals
- Fertilizers & Agricultural Chemicals
- Health Research & Policy
Northwest Drug Company Limited 1990 to 1993
Women’s Leadership Council, Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada 2010 to Present
Alberta Diabetes Institute, Advisory Board 2007 to Present
Edmonton Support Network 2001 to 2006
Audit Committee Chair
United Way, Alberta Capital Region 1994 to 1998
Audit Committee Chair
University of Alberta 2004 to Present
Chief Operating Officer, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
Executive Director, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry
Assistant Dean Administration, Augustana Faculty
Wulff Financial Consulting 2001 to 2004
Edmonton Northlands Limited 1995 to 2001
Chief Financial Officer, Corporate Secretary and Treasurer
Sherritt Inc. 1994 to 1995
Controller, Sherritt Operations
Northwest Drug Company Limited and Subsidiaries 1990 to 1993
Vice President Finance, Corporate Secretary and Treasurer
KPMG Chartered Accountants 1978 to 1990
Senior Manager, Audit, Private Business and Business Investigations
FCIS, Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators of Canada, 2007
CMC, Certified Management Consultants of Canada, 1989
CPA CA, Chartered Professional Accountants of Alberta, 1982; Distinguished Service, 2010
B. Commerce, University of Alberta, 1978