Reports to: President & CEO
Location: NYC Office
Catalyst is a global nonprofit working with some of the world’s most powerful CEOs and leading companies to help build workplaces that work for women. Founded in 1962, Catalyst drives change with pioneering research, practical tools, and proven solutions to accelerate and advance women into leadership—because progress for women is progress for everyone.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Senior Vice President (SVP), Global Brand and Strategic Communications provides global leadership for all aspects of Catalyst’s strategic communications agenda through coordinated articulation and far-reaching messaging of the Catalyst brand. The SVP develops and works collaboratively with other leaders to execute an internal and external brand and implements communications strategies that support the achievement of measurable business goals and mission impact as well as helping grow the organization’s profile and reputation. This role provides strategic counsel to the CEO, leadership team, and the Board, leads messaging and content development for the Catalyst brand overall and executive communications, and supports the CEO in stakeholder management and brand building. The SVP serves as a member of Catalyst’s Global Leadership Council (GLC) that sets organizational priorities and strategies and monitors Catalyst’s progress.
Global Brand and Strategic Communications
- Serve as a strategic thought partner to the CEO by developing a compelling and consistent leadership voice, corporate story, speeches, and message platform that sets Catalyst apart in the marketplace.
- Lead the Global Communications function across Catalyst including planning, developing, organizing, executing, and evaluating overall operations and performance in support of the Catalyst brand, business plan, and strategic direction of the organization.
- As chief storyteller, amplify and strengthen Catalyst’s brand and corporate story in all external communications and across all owned media and earned media so that key audiences understand exactly who we are, what we do, and why it matters.
- In partnership with Catalyst’s CEO, SVPs, Executive Directors of Catalyst’s regions, and other leaders, help enhance Catalyst’s brand, reputation, and profile; lead the creation, in partnership with the SVP of Research, of thought leadership that helps companies put Catalyst’s ideas to work.
- Provide strong leadership, management, and mentorship for the Communications Team, including direct reports: VP of Global Communications, VP of Creative Communications, and VP of Strategic Engagement, as well as other leaders to help Catalyst achieve excellent results in all aspects of communications and branding.
- Demonstrate to staff, Supporters and key influencers that Catalyst is relevant, insightful, and unique in its expertise, including both strategically leading the team and also “rolling up sleeves” to do key work personally as needed.
- Provide vision and leadership to VP of Global Communications to help Catalyst achieve greater impact in media relations, particularly Tier 1 media.
- Develop and lead innovative communications projects that raise the bar in critical strategic areas such as social/digital, media, brand building and awareness, thought leadership, partner engagement, etc.
- Provide leadership and support to special projects that are critical to achieving Catalyst’s business and strategic objectives, including “big idea” brand-building activities, signature events, etc.
- Provide strategic leadership for corporate and internal communications, particularly to help rally the global organization behind the successful execution of Catalyst’s strategy.
- Work collaboratively with the CEO and other GLC members to set the organization’s mission-based priorities by shaping the business model and global positioning, driving stakeholder engagement, allocating resources and supporting infrastructure to execute Catalyst’s strategic priorities.
- Serve as a role model of inclusion and work-life effectiveness, fostering collaboration and inspiration, while enhancing strategic thinking capabilities, business acumen, and accountability.
- Make periodic presentations to the GLC and Catalyst’s Board of Directors and Board of Advisors.
- Communicate the mission and work of the organization by serving as a compelling and expert spokesperson at speaking opportunities, including research releases, media interviews, conferences, events, and corporate sessions.
- Ensure the department is equipped with the budget, skills, and capabilities to serve evolving organizational needs including identifying talent and coaching to ensure bench strength and succession planning.
Knowledge and Skills
- A persuasive executive presence with a successful track record in establishing business entities/go-to-market strategies for products and services.
- Extensive brand strategy and corporate communications experience, ideally in a high-pressure, high-profile, corporate environment.
- Proven experience in defining, gaining support for, and successfully executing complex and compelling communications strategies with senior executives, including Boards of Directors.
- Excellent speech writer and corporate storyteller with strong skills in the ideation and development of compelling business thought leadership.
- Seasoned judgment on external communications (corporate, government, social communities).
- Demonstrated deep expertise in media relations—proactive/responsive strategy and execution, corporate spokesperson experience, with strong reputation and crisis management skills.
- Superb writing, editing, and presentation skills with proven ability to absorb large amounts of information and distill it into compelling and clear messaging to adapt to and engage diverse audiences.
- High level of energy, sense of urgency, creativity and decisiveness, balanced with the ability to remain calm and focused to work effectively under pressure and very responsively to stakeholder/situational needs that emerge ‘last minute’ or unexpectedly.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, resource-constrained, and changing environment and effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong leadership, management, administrative, and supervisory skills with creative teams in high-pressure situations; demonstrated ability to manage projects and engage and develop people.
- Culturally sensitive; ability to create content appropriate for a diverse international audience of business professionals.
- Virtual team structure with need to accommodate multiple time zones.
- Some travel nationally and internationally (up to 15% annually).
Education and Experience Requirements
This position requires a Master’s degree in a related field and at least 15 years of progressive corporate experience in executive communications, marketing communications, or marketing, including 5+ years in a strategy development and senior leadership role. Global communications and media relations experience is preferred. Corporate/business background and/or journalism background paired with strong communications background is desirable. Additional requirements include substantial experience interacting, advising, and working at a Chief Executive level with a proven track record of delivering superior communications programs, initiatives, and results.
How to Apply
Please email your resume, cover letter and desired salary to [email protected] with “SVP, Global Brand & Strategic Communications” in the subject line. Due to the large number of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.