Board Value Proposition:
- Played key executive role in three major Canadian corporate restructurings: break-up of Canadian Pacific Limited into five publicly traded companies in 2001; merger of PanCanadian Energy and Alberta Energy to form Encana Corporation in 2002; and split of Encana to form Cenovus Energy in 2009. Provided market perspectives and strategic input; managed key relations with investors, government, staff, and the public.
Stakeholder Relations; Investor, Media, Government, Aboriginal, and Community Relations
- In the 2009 creation of Cenovus Energy, played a part in developing the company’s overall strategic direction and managed all external relations during the split and through the company’s first six years.
- Built strategies for stakeholder acceptance for the creation of Encana; led award-winning investor and media relations teams at Encana; recognized by IR Magazine Canada Awards.
- As a member of leadership team, was mandated to plan and execute the break-up of Canadian Pacific Limited and guided the investor relations and communications activities, helping to facilitate significant realization of value for shareholders. Executed a highly complex investor relations program that encompassed as many as 10 companies in different industries.
Brand Development and Reputational Risk Management
- Led the creation of the Cenovus brand, which in both 2012 and 2013 was recognized by Brand Finance Plc as one of the "Top 50 Canadian Brands" with a brand value of over $1 billion.
- Increased awareness of the importance of company reputation within the organization, developing a framework for managing reputational risks.
Corporate Social Responsibility and Communications Leadership
- Guided development of corporate responsibility program at Cenovus; the company received global recognition for its corporate responsibility performance, and was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for four consecutive years and to the Dow Jones Sustainability North American Index for six years in a row. In 2015, Cenovus was the only North American oil and gas producer to make the World Index.
- Led the creation of innovative and recognized communications initiatives, including early adoption of social media within the industry.
- Built strong internal communications to support corporate culture at Encana and Cenovus.
- Capital Goods
- Industrial Conglomerates
- Consumer Services
- Hotels, Resorts, & Cruise Lines
- Integrated Oil & Gas
- Oil & Gas Exploration & Production
- United States
Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra 2013 to Present
University of Calgary, Haskayne School of Business Management Advisory Council 2013 to Present
Calgary YWCA 2006 to 2009
Board Effectiveness Committee
CEO Evaluation Committee
University of Calgary, Faculty of Medicine, Dean’s Advisory Council 2008 to 2012
Canadian Investor Relations Institute (CIRI) 1997 to 1999
Canadian Investor Relations Institute (CIRI) 1991 to 1994
Cenovus Energy 2009 to 2016
Executive Vice President, Environment and Corporate Affairs
Executive Vice President, Communications and Stakeholder Relations
Encana 2002 to 2009
Executive Vice President, Corporate Communications
Vice President, Investor Relations
PanCanadian Energy 2001 to 2002
Vice President, Investor Relations
Canadian Pacific 1985 to 2001
Vice President, Corporate Communications and Investor Relations
Assistant Vice President, Corporate Communications
Director, Investor and Industry Relations
Manager, Business Information Systems
Canadian Consulate General, New York 1971 to 1985
Chief of Library and Information Services
ICD.D, Institute of Corporate Directors, 2012
MBA, McGill University, 1992
BLS, University of Alberta, 1975
BA (Eng. and Hist.), Brandon University, 1974