Board Value Proposition:
Strategic Planning and Execution
- As Senior Vice President and Group Head of Legal and Business Affairs of TMX Group Limited, played a significant role as a member of the executive management team leading strategy development and execution.
Public Company Governance, Compliance, and Reporting
- Responsible for reporting corporate governance, compliance, and reporting for TMX Group Limited, ensuring it remained at the forefront of good governance given its role in Canadian capital markets.
- Advised on all legal and regulatory issues arising out of TMX Group’s operations and business initiatives in a highly regulated environment. Throughout an over 30-year career, advised numerous boards and businesses in various industries on complex transactions.
Mergers and Acquisitions, IPOs, Securities Transactions, and Divestitures
- Played a significant role in TMX Group becoming a highly diversified exchange group. A key player on the team that managed the company’s most significant transaction, the combination of TMX Group Inc. with The Canadian Depository for Securities Limited and Alpha in 2012.
- Also played a key role in other transactions, including the acquisition of Montreal Exchange Inc. and Canadian Derivatives Clearing Corporation in 2008, and of Natural Gas Exchange Inc. in 2004.
- While Partner at Torys LLP, advised TMX Group on its initial public offering in 2002; it was the first exchange group to go public in North America. Also advised numerous other Canadian corporations in Canada and abroad on a wide variety of legal issues, in particular cross-border mergers, corporate finance and securities transactions, acquisitions, and divestitures.
- Commercial & Professional Services
- Diversified Financials
- Diversified Capital Markets
- United Kingdom
- United States
OPTrust 2017 to Present
TMX Group Limited—Various Subsidiaries 2003 to 2015
Canadian Feed the Children 2016 to Present
Nominations and Governance Committee
Inglewood Advisory Services 2015 to Present
TMX Group Limited 2003 to 2015
Senior Vice President, Group Head of Legal and Business Affairs
Vice President, Corporate Development, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
Torys LLP 1982 to 2003
ICD.D, Institute of Corporate Directors, 2008
Ontario Bar, 1984
LL.B, University of Ottawa, 1982
BA (Hons.), University of Toronto, 1979