Reports To: MARC Program Manager
Summary of Responsibilities
The part-time Community Manager of the Men Advocating Real Change Lab helps to develop and build Catalyst’s Men Advocating Real Change community, an integral component of Catalyst’s Center for Advancing Leader Effectiveness. The Community Manager works with the Center Leader to develop, implement, and test MARC’s strategy and ensure its alignment with Catalyst’s mission to expand opportunities for women and business.
Day-to-day responsibilities include community engagement (via blogs, forums, and newsletters), content moderation, implementation of MARC’s growth strategy, monitoring and publicizing relevant current events, and participating in the creation and editorial review of MARC blog posts and supporting materials. The Community Manager manages and builds relationships with content contributors (bloggers) and individual MARC members. Internally, the Community Manager is part of a cross-departmental Men’s Issues Specialty Team and works with Center for Advancing Leader Effectiveness staff and senior Catalyst management to keep internal stakeholders informed and engaged regarding MARC’s activities.
- Participate in developing and implementing strategy to meet MARC’s goal of mobilizing the untapped power of men to help close gender gaps.
- Ensure that Catalyst’s Center for Advancing Leader Effectiveness remains the go-to resource for equipping leaders with critical skills to create inclusive workplaces.
- Community Management:
- Maintain existing blogger relationships, identify and create opportunities for new bloggers and guest bloggers, and generate blog topics and communications agenda.
- Manage blog calendar and content production cycle and ensure editorial review of all content.
- Monitor and respond to community activity.
- Assist in developing success metrics, tracking and reporting on website use, and interpreting user demographics.
- Encourage use of MARC tools and resources through active online community engagement.
- Gather feedback from users to guide an action plan for expanding our reach and impact, including the development of new MARC tools and resources.
- Maintain MARC site functionality, including: marketing updates and branding implementation, editing existing webpages and creating new pages as necessary, and assisting in developing site objectives and taking an active role in continually improving end-user experience.
- Utilize a variety of social media tools to develop metrics for gauging impact, craft strategy for reaching new audiences, participate in virtual “live discussions,” and work with internal teams to constantly refresh content across platforms.
- Assist in the delivery of MARC-To-Go!, a newsletter, through executing agenda and outreach plan, creating and monitoring success metrics, coordinating marketing/communications review and ensuring adherence to branding guidelines, and revamping and maintaining template functionality.
- Monitor engagement on MARC and compile easy-to-understand reports to map community health; amend strategies based on feedback from key stakeholders.
- Develop case studies to highlight current company and individual involvement in MARC.
- Develop and execute outreach campaigns targeting MARC users based on user participation rates.
- Help Catalyst staff learn about and tap into MARC’s potential, plus answer any questions they may have about MARC.
Knowledge and Skills
- Familiarity with community engagement platforms.
- Deep understanding of established and emerging social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and YouTube, among others, preferred. Must know how best to deploy these tools to reach different demographics.
- Ability to write strong, clear, articulate, concise, engaging prose in various voices for diverse audiences and build and maintain relationships with bloggers and readers.
- Familiarity with web development tools, such as Dreamweaver, Adobe Office Suite, and HTML.
- Knowledge of email campaign procedures and related development tools, such as Vertical Response and Excel.
- Ability to effectively organize information, manage multiple projects, solve problems, and meet firm deadlines.
- Ability and flexibility to work effectively with colleagues across various departments and job levels.
- Background in gender studies is strongly preferred.
- Deadline-driven, fast-paced environment with multiple priorities, limited turnaround time, and heavy computer use.
- Flexibility to adapt to frequent and often unexpected demands.
Education and Experience
This position requires a minimum of a BA or BS in social science, business, journalism, or a related field of study. Content expertise in gender studies—and men’s studies in particular—is strongly preferred. Candidate should be proficient at relationship and online community management. Deep knowledge of and extensive experience with social media is a strong asset.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Jobs@catalyst.org with “Research Fellow, Men Advocating Real Change (MARC) Lab”, and the source where you found this job posted in the subject line. The location of this position is flexible – please indicate the Catalyst office from which you would prefer to work, or the city of your home office.