Reports to: CFO, SVP Finance/HR/Administration
The Payroll Manager manages the overall day-to-day operation of the payroll function by performing the successful processing of the bi-weekly payroll and the timely submission of payroll reports. He/she resolves any payroll problems and ADP and Ceridian system issues, ensures employee changes are entered into the payroll system, and works with auditors as needed. The Payroll Manager also coordinates with HR on company initiatives that affect the payroll function. He/she manages the integration of domestic and international payroll-related activities.
- Manages payroll vendors to ensure that payroll practices and procedures are compliant with federal, state, and provincial law and regulations.
- Resolves ADP and Ceridian system issues and problems by working with their programmers.
- Manages relationship with ADP and Ceridian.
- Provides recommendations for items impacting payroll.
- Provides changes and updates to ADP and Ceridian payroll tables.
- Liaises with payroll service providers in other countries.
- Liaises with Controller to reconcile General Ledger payroll accounts.
- Resolves payroll issues and problems with employees and carriers/vendors.
- Enforces payroll policies.
- Stays abreast of current federal, state, and international laws regarding payroll practices and procedures.
- Reviews and reconciles quarterly tax remittances from ADP and Ceridian.
- Serves as the project manager for integration of both domestic and international payroll-related activities. Coordinates and works with auditors on payroll-related items for both financial and payroll audits.
- Coordinates with ADP to complete nondiscrimination tests for Sec 125 plans.
- Prepares and distributes written communication to staff regarding compliance with NY State Theft Act.
- Maintains schedules of salaries prepared by auditors/payroll service providers in Switzerland and India.
- Manage Replicon time attendance system.
- Pension plan calculation and remittances for United States (biweekly) and Canada (monthly).
- Resolves discrepancies with 403b and RRSP matches with vendors to ensure accurate calculations for employee and employer contributions.
- Downloads and prepares schedules for year-end 403b audit. Interfaces with auditor.
- Sends communication to staff regarding safe harbor laws.
- Provides solutions and recommendations to CFO to improve processes of systems to ensure compliance with federal, state, and provincial laws and regulations.
Knowledge and Skills
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with payroll systems and managing payroll functions.
- Excellent knowledge of current tax and payroll laws and 403b and section 125 compliance laws.
- Articulate, professional, and able to communicate in a clear, positive manner with vendors and staff.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills. Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent project management and technical skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to solve problems of diverse scope that require analysis of the situation and review of identifiable factors.
- Strong judgment, within defined practices and procedures, in order to select methods and techniques that obtain desired results.
- Tight deadlines
- Multiple priorities
- Occasional overtime
Education and Experience Requirements
- The position requires a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or related field.
- Five years of experience with payroll practices, procedures, and systems.
- Certification as a Payroll Professional (CPP) a plus.
- Prior work experience with ADP and/or Ceridian payroll systems.
- Experience with 403b plans.
To apply for this position, please send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com with "Payroll Manager" and the source of the job listing in the subject line.