Navigate work-life issues by learning about flexible work arrangements and health and family topics.
Flexible Work Arrangements
- CatalystX: Inclusive Leadership Training: Get Beyond Work-Life Balance: Free, self-paced online course offered by Catalyst, focusing on the importance of inclusive leadership in creating flexible and productive work environments.
- FlexJobs: Job search site specializing in professional telecommuting, part-time, freelance, and flexible jobs.
- Gov.UK: Flexible Working: Guide for professionals and employers to flexible working provisions in the United Kingdom.
- HR Council: Workplaces That Work - Flexible Work Arrangements: Toolkit that describes common flexible work models, benefits, and strategies for implementing them.
- The Sloan Center on Aging & Work at Boston College: Focus on Workplace Flexibility: Overview of workplace flexibility, describing types of flexibility, availability in public and private industry sectors, needs, benefits, and barriers.
Health and Family
- Career Intelligence.com: Articles on work-life effectiveness, health and fitness, time management, and stress.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Family Health: Health, wellness and safety tips for families covering a range of issues, including family health history, vaccines and immunizations, parenting skills, and health at school.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: LGBT Health: Publications, data and statistics on HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted diseases, viral hepatitis, HPV, violence prevention, adolescent and school health, and other health services for LGBT people.
- Ch.Ch: Family and Work: Overview of maternity leave, paternity leave, job protections for pregnant women and working mothers, family allowances, and childcare in Switzerland.
- Fair Work Ombudsman: Maternity & Parental Leave: Description of Australia’s maternity and parental leave policies, including guides for requesting and documenting leave.
- Family Values @ Work: Advocacy network promoting family-friendly work policies, including fact sheets and research publications on work-family topics, a database of contract language, a “story bank” of successful work-family narratives, and an action center to get involved.
- Government of Canada: Employment Insurance Benefits: Overviews of maternity, parental, and compassionate care benefits in Canada, including application forms and guides.
- Gov.UK: Government services for the United Kingdom, including descriptions and resources for maternity leave, paternity leave, and unpaid parental leave.
- HealthyWomen (HW): Resources on a variety of health topics for women, including pregnancy and parenting, aging, diet and nutrition, anxiety and depression, among others.
- Medline Plus: Information on health, wellness, disorders, conditions, drugs and supplements, clinical trials, and health news. From the US National Library of Medicine.
- Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare: Child Care and Family Leave Law [PDF]: Most recent revision of Japan’s provision of paid maternity leave. Includes statistics, explanation of revisions, flexible work arrangements, and health care requirements of employers.
- National LGBT Health Education Center: Educational programs, webinars, publications, and suggested readings on a variety of LGBT-related health topics, including HIV/STI prevention and treatment, behavioral health, cancer, and transgender health.
- National Partnership for Women & Families: Coverage of women’s legal issues, including health care, reproductive health, work and family, workplace fairness, and promoting equality-minded judges and courts.
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Administration for Children & Families: Programs and guidance for families and children that promote economic and social well-being.
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Office on Women's Health: Government-produced resource on women’s health, including an A-Z directory of health topics, federal reports, and news.
- U.S. Department of Labor: Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA): Benefits entitling eligible employees to unpaid, job-protected leave for specific family and personal medical reasons, including child and parental care. Includes an overview, forms, fact sheets, and more.
- Federal Office for Migration and Refugees: Welcome to Germany: Children and Families: Aimed at migrants to Germany, this guide provides clear descriptions of legal rights and options for parental leave, childcare, and other family concerns.
- Working Mother: A lifestyle site aimed at working moms, including their list of top workplaces that promote flexible work and family-friendly policies.
- Workplace Fairness: Family Responsibilities Discrimination: Introductory guide to family caregiver discrimination in the workplace, including an overview of applicable legislation and suggested next steps.
My Career Toolkit