Department: Member Relations
Reports to: Senior Director, Western Region
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Summary of Responsibilities
Under the leadership of the Senior Director, this sales professional is responsible for developing a member outreach strategy, recruiting new member organizations, managing a portfolio of member organizations, and leading the development and delivery of member services and events. This is a “solutions-oriented” position which uses consultative sales techniques. The Membership Manager develops and maintains in-depth relationships with assigned regional member organizations, cultivates new memberships in new industries and new geographies, and participatse in high-profile external events and speaking engagements.
- Responsible for new member development via prospecting, qualifying, selling, and closing new Catalyst memberships
- Develop and maintain prospect and member list for membership leads
- Speak to external constituencies regarding Catalyst’s mission, research, and services which assist companies in recruiting, retaining, and advancing women; communicate trends and best practices
- Develop and leverage an external network of resources and contacts which can be called upon for connections and information
- Collaborate with membership teams in other regions to share best practices and design strategies to develop new members and better serve existing members
- Build and maintain in-depth knowledge of Catalyst member benefits, research, and services
- Identify and develop the relevant content for member and prospect meetings, using Catalyst research and other resources
- Represent Catalyst at select events attended by executives in your region
- Support the development and execution of regional events designed to convene members and prospects
- Develop and proactively manage relationships with contacts at assigned member companies through email, phone, and in-person contact
- Serve as Relationship Manager to designated Catalyst member companies, maintaining regular contact with members regarding upcoming Catalyst events/research and members’ needs and issues, as well as communicating Catalyst membership benefits and following up on member requests
- Work with Western Region membership team to coordinate billing and on-boarding of new members
Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in sales, business development, account management, consulting services, fundraising, human resources or other related areas with a demonstrated record of goal achievement
- Broad knowledge of and experience in the corporate world; general knowledge of issues facing working women
- An entrepreneurial spirit with well-developed interpersonal skills, an understanding of and commitment to customer service, and a professional demeanor
- Strategic thinking and the ability to recognize and leverage opportunities related to Catalyst's mission
- Ability to speak publicly to a wide range of audiences, from line managers to senior executives
- Passionate about promoting diversity and inclusion in the workplace
- Strong client-facing experience and abilities, including project planning and oversight and problem-solving
- The ability to play a leadership role in a highly team-oriented, virtual work environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication, and outstanding attention to detail
- Personal computer proficiency in a networked Windows environment
- Heavy computer use.
- Tight deadlines.
- Multiple priorities.
- Handle confidential issues and data.
- Some travel is required.
Education and Experience Requirements
The Membership Manager position requires a minimum of a B.A., B.S., or equivalent, preferably in business, marketing, social science, organizational development, or a related field of study. Also requires five or more years of progressively responsible business development, relationship management, consultative sales, client service, member relations, or consulting work experience. Experience with human resources, diversity efforts, and/or fundraising is a plus. Applicants with MBAs and an established network of contacts in the business community are preferred.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and salary history to email@example.com with “Membership Manager” in the subject line.