NEW YORK–The Catalyst Information Center (IC) is proud to be this year’s winner of the Special Libraries Association’s (SLA’s) tenth annual Centers of Excellence Award from the SLA’s Business & Finance Division in the Service Category. Catalyst is honored that its exceptional and dynamic Information Center has received such a prestigious award.
“Catalyst has set the global gold standard for providing accurate, up-to-date information and cutting-edge research on women and business to our 500-plus global members, as well as to media and experts worldwide,” said Jan Combopiano, Vice President and Chief Knowledge Officer. “Given the complex nature of the requests, Catalyst’s IC does not merely suggest where an answer might be found; our comprehensive services help the requestor reframe the question and zero in on the answer most relevant to their goals and organization.”
The IC was recognized for its outstanding customer-focused services, which emphasize fast, frequent delivery of crucial information, and contribute to Catalyst’s reputation as an indispensable resource. Some of the qualities for which Catalyst’s Information Center was specifically honored include:
- Leadership. Each member of the IC plays a vital role, and its daily operations are effectively and efficiently managed by a virtual worker.
- Strategic Planning. The IC is expanding its focus globally and enhancing its outreach with exciting new opportunities to serve Catalyst members worldwide.
- Customer/User Focus. The IC is leading the way in ensuring that its products are user-friendly and its staff able to provide comprehensive and timely answers to a variety of requests.
- Information and Analysis. The IC tracks its requests and the efficiency with which they’re handled, and analyzes the topics to guide product and service development.
- Human Resources Focus. The IC is especially focused on acquiring, retaining, and advancing top talent.
- Process Management. Collaboration is built into the IC’s request response system to ensure efficiency and hierarchy of service, as well as to categorize typology of request.
- Service Results. The IC’s customers are consistently enthusiastic about its services.
The Centers of Excellence Awards were initiated by the SLA’s Business & Finance Division in 2001. The purpose of the COE Awards is to recognize the very best in library and information practices and highlight such practices for the benefit of organizations seeking to strengthen their own information services.
The Catalyst IC received this special honor on June 13, 2011. Previous COE Awards winners include the Verizon Information Research Network, The Science, Industry & Business Library of The New York Public Library, and National Geographic Society's Libraries and Information Services.
Founded in 1962, Catalyst is the leading nonprofit membership organization expanding opportunities for women and business. With offices in the United States, Canada, Europe, and India, and more than 500 preeminent corporations as members, Catalyst is the trusted resource for research, information, and advice about women at work. Catalyst annually honors exemplary organizational initiatives that promote women's advancement with the Catalyst Award.