Board Value Proposition:
- Transformed International Banking divisional operating model and organizational structure (post 20+ acquisitions and integrations) to pivot focus towards strategic and optimization priorities.
- Established a multi-year optimization program that has exceeded annual targets and balances short-term and longer-term investments to reduce structural costs by $150 million and enhance the customer experience.
- Transformed an underperforming business into a competitive and profitable operation, by revising the business model, investing in systems to drive operational efficiencies and product functionality, centralizing operations, building capacity, subsequently addressing excess capacity, acquiring and integrating a competitor—all resulting in 16 consecutive quarters of market share growth, increased customer and employee satisfaction and an 160% increase in revenues.
International Operations (Audit, Operational Risk, Regulatory Compliance)
- Evolved the operating model and processes for divisional oversight and governance of international countries, management of operational risks and regulatory compliance, as well as strategic priorities alignment.
- Provided enterprise-wide audit assurance over the design and effectiveness of controls and operational processes during a period of significant organizational and business change, and heightened regulatory expectations across a global footprint; presented results and emerging themes to audit and conduct review committee of board, including in-camera sessions.
Talent Management and Succession
- Designed and executed, in conjunction with the CEO and executive-management team, the global leadership agenda and supporting global practices.
- Developed succession plans for the most senior leadership positions, and participated in discussions with the Human Resource Committee of Board.
- Assessed executive compensation practices against evolving industry and regulatory expectations.
- Diversified Financials
- Central America
- Latin America
Learning Disabilities Association of Ontario 2008 to 2015
United Way of Toronto, Campaign Cabinet 2014 to 2015
Co-Chair, Leadership Giving
Chair, Major Banks
Scotiabank 1988 to Present
Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer, International Banking
Senior Vice President and Chief Auditor
Senior Vice President, Leadership & Top Talent Management
Managing Director, Head of Online Brokerage
Vice President, Corporate and Commercial Contact Centres
Progressively senior positions to Vice President, Audit
Coopers & Lybrand 1982 to 1988
Progressively senior positions to Audit Manager
Canada Trust 1978 to 1982
Canadian Securities Course and Canadian Securities Institute, Partners, Directors and Officers, 2000
Governor General’s Canadian Study Conference, 2000
CA, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta, 1985
BBA (Hons.), Wilfrid Laurier University, 1982