Board Value Proposition:
Executive-Level Leadership, Strategic Planning and Implementation
- TransCanada’s leading lawyer over a period that saw the company grow its asset base from $24 billion in 2005 to $66 billion in 2015 through acquisitions and infrastructure development.
- Played key role in 1998 formation of TC Pipelines LP, a publicly traded master limited partnership set up as a financing vehicle to hold certain mature US pipeline assets, with current assests consisting of 5,560 miles of federally regulated interstate natural gas pipelines across the United States.
- Completed a $4 billion subscription receipts offering in 2016, the largest in Canadian history, in connection with pending $18 billion acquisition of the Columbia Pipeline Group.
- Responsible for development and implementation of TransCanada’s legal, government relations, and communications strategies during a period of development of significant, controversial infrastructure projects.
- Experienced in the development of short- and long-term corporate strategy.
Legal, Regulatory, and Government and Stakeholder Relations Expertise
- Led integrated legal, government relations, and stakeholder relations teams developing new oil pipeline systems designed to carry heavy oil from the Canadian oil sands to the Gulf coast. These complex projects are notable for the groundbreaking regulatory approvals required, the challenging political environment, and the complex shipper and ownership arrangements.
- Established a corporate compliance program and governance model for TransCanada’s multi-jurisdictional operations.
- Successfully defended against shareholder activist initiative to break up the company.
- Oil & Gas Storage & Transportation
- Airport Services
- Electric Utilities
- Gas Utilities
- United States
- North America
- South America
TC Pipelines LP
Calgary Airport Authority 2014
Governance and Compensation Committee, 2014–Present
Operations, Safety, Health & Environment, 2015–Present
Business Development Committee (Past)
Ad Hoc Committee addressing CEO, CIO and CFO succession 2016–Present
National Chamber Litigation Center 2014 to Present
Canadian Lymphedema Foundation
Junior Achievement for Southern Alberta
TransCanada Corporation 1995 to Present
Executive Vice President, Stakeholder Relations and General Counsel
Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer
Senior Vice President, Pipelines Law and Regulatory Affairs
Deputy General Counsel, Pipelines and Regulatory Affairs
Vice President, Law, Gas Transmission
Vice President, Power and Regulatory Law
Vice President, Law, Trading and Business Development
Associate General Counsel, US Regulatory Law and North American Pipeline Ventures
Senior Legal Counsel, US Regulatory Law
U.S. Department of the Interior 1998
Morgan Lewis 1988 to 1995
Lockwood, Bellmore & Moore, Toronto 1983 to 1987
Barrister and Solicitor
LLB, University of Windsor, 1983
BA (Hons. Pub. Admin.), Carlton University, 1980