Chock full of key questions, step-by-step directions, compelling and customizable visuals, and leading practices, Vital Signs is a unique and focused approach to strengthening and diversifying your talent pipeline. Designed exclusively for Catalyst member organizations at all stages of the diversity journey, Vital Signs is for anyone who wants to understand and impact the shape of their team, department, or organization to reap the benefits of a diverse workforce.
By asking the right questions, some dependent on workforce data for answers and others not, a clearer picture of your talent emerges, sparking often surprising insights into your organization’s opportunities to become more inclusive and diverse. Grounded in Catalyst research and consulting experience, Vital Signs helps you:
Evaluate your talent decisions, to understand who you are developing and advancing, set goals, and test assumptions that may be preventing your employees from reaching their full potential.
Tell the story of your talent pipeline using workforce data, to discover the historical patterns driving your numbers and inform future talent decisions and activities.
A diagnosis of your organization’s “diversity and inclusion health.”
Where are you excelling? Where are you stuck?
A foundation for determining which focused, high-leverage actions to take next, leading to measureable change for women and better business results overall.
Key information for goal planning, business alignment, diversity reporting, and other talent management activities and tracking.
The first Catalyst Member-Only issue, Vital Signs: Strengthen Your Talent Pipeline, is now available on the Catalyst App for both Apple and Android tablet users. Download the Catalyst App and access all this expertise directly from your tablet device.
The Vital Signs Toolkit
Evaluating your talent decisions (with or without workforce data) tools:
- Vital Signs: How They Can Lead to Change in Your Organization introduces the Vital Signs approach and suggests how to start defining what “good” looks like for your organization.
- Vital Signs: Determining Actions for Inclusive Policies and Practices will help you evaluate your current policies and practices for recruiting, advancing, and retaining women.
- Vital Signs: One Approach to Setting Goals for Impact introduces a client-tested approach to setting goals that can help move the needle.
- Testing Popular Assumptions: We Can’t Find Qualified Women outlines three steps you can take to test this assumption with data, probing questions, and leading practices.
Telling your story with data tools:
- Vital Signs: Guide to Telling Your Story With Data helps you get started with your data and provides insights by metric that will make it easy to find the stories in your data.
- Vital Signs: Using Your Data to Close the Gaps shows you how to use and interpret key metrics for impact in closing gender gaps. Watch the two-minute clip on the Key Metrics Comparison.
- Vital Signs: Using Your Data to Close the Gaps—Figures and Tables provides customizable figures and tables that you can use with your organization’s data.
- Vital Signs: Using Your Data to Close the Gaps: Data Collection Template is a downloadable Excel file that allows you to easily track your data.
“I just took the Vital Signs webinar and I am so excited! This program and the tangible tools will help us use our HR data to identify strengths, challenges, and opportunities at our company. This is exactly what we were looking for: what data to collect, how to collect it, what to do with the data once you get it, and how to develop a strategic plan from the data.” - A participant of The Foundation of Organizational Change: Understanding Your Vital Signs webinar.
|Challenge||Vital Signs Resources||What You’ll Get|
We want to understand the current state of our talent pipeline. How do we get started? What should we be tracking?
Webinar Recording: The Foundation for Organizational Change: Understanding Your Vital Signs
Five steps to jump-start the change process and, once moving, ensure you’re tracking the right data.
Evaluate your current policies and practices for recruiting, advancing, and retaining women.
Help interpreting your data, along with metrics to track
Copy your data into PPT charts and graphs to generate compelling visuals that help you tell the story of your talent
Highlights insights sparked from telling your story with data and demonstrates the Telling Your Story With Data Tools
What if I don’t have access to workforce data or I am interested in insights even beyond these data?
Testing Popular Assumptions: We Can’t Find Qualified Women
Key questions to ask yourself, colleagues, and leaders that don’t require data, yet catalyze critical thinking about talent decisions, such as, “Who are you sponsoring?” and “How diverse are your protégés?”
We already track workforce metrics with our own data systems. Does Vital Signs provide something for us?
Using Your Data to Close the Gaps: Time in Position & Key Metrics Comparison
Testing Popular Assumptions: We Can’t Find Qualified Women (Step 2)
Even companies with sophisticated data systems find the Vital Signs questions spark critical new thinking.
Sidebars provide key data insights and questions
Additional important questions; an introduction to time in position, an infrequently tracked but invaluable metric; Key Metrics Comparison pulls data together to identify trends quickly.
An approach to test assumptions about gender gaps with data, and a recruitment strategy for senior-level women
A one-minute exercise that spotlights how well leaders are walking the talk with inclusive sponsorship
How can we set appropriate goals in support of gender progress?
An introduction to the concept of proportional representation in promotions, a member-tested approach to moving the needle by looking at the pool of employees in your workforce
How can I communicate talent information in a compelling way to leaders and other stakeholders?
Using Your Data to Close the Gaps: Key Metrics Comparison chart
Using Your Data to Close the Gaps: Figures and Tables
A snapshot of all your data that will help you quickly identify trends
PowerPoint templates that you can copy your data into for greater impact