Department: Human Resources
Reports to: Senior Director, Human Resources
Location: NYC Office
Summary of Responsibilities
The Human Resources (HR) Manager works closely with the Sr. Director and HR Coordinator to ensure the successful administration and coordination of HR functions. The HR Manager is responsible for managing portions of the day-to-day HR operations, including administration, coordination, and evaluation of policies and practices. Key responsibilities include recommending and implementing enhancements to recruiting, on-boarding, payroll, benefits, performance management, training and development programs, and employee relations. This role ensures policies are consistently applied across the organization and in compliance with local employment law.
- Payroll and Benefits
- Oversee payroll and related functions including reviewing payroll packets prepared by the HR Coordinator and serve as backup to process within the ADP Workforce Now (US) and Ceridian (Canada) payroll systems.
- Direct benefits administration, including claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment, retirement payments, open enrollment, FMLA and COBRA processes, and communicating benefits information to employees.
- Manage annual and internal audits, ensuring data integrity across internal payroll, benefits, and HR platforms, and working closely with the Finance team to track salary-related expenses across departments.
- Review and reconcile multi-state taxes and unemployment insurance remittances in ADP, complete nondiscrimination tests for Sec 125 plans, and coordinate with external vendors to complete 1095-C processing.
- Recruitment, Performance Management, and Employee Relations
- Oversee, conduct, and continuously improve recruitment efforts in collaboration with the HR Coordinator for all exempt and nonexempt employees, temporary fellows, interns, and volunteers, with intentional focus on achieving organizational diversity goals.
- Manage an inclusive and engaging new hire orientation process that ensures new hires are given the information, tools, and internal connections needed to be successful in their new roles.
- Support the Senior Director on performance management practices, talent reviews, promotion discussions, and training and development initiatives.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to diagnose a broad array of employee and organizational development issues, recommending appropriate strategies and scalable solutions.
- Counsel and coach employees and supervisors to settle work-related conflicts through advice and recommendations.
- Policies and Procedures
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures for continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Maintain the integrity of employee records, including creating and updating job descriptions.
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and provincial regulations concerning employment, and monitor labor law updates for changes that affect HR, including reviewing and updating employee handbooks.
Knowledge and Skills
- Considerable knowledge of HR policies, procedures, best practices, and employment law in all regions of the world where Catalyst conducts business.
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with payroll systems and managing payroll functions.
- Excellent knowledge of current tax and payroll laws, 403b benefits, section 125 compliance laws, and Affordable Care Act reporting requirements.
- Impeccable attention to detail and demonstrated knowledge of the organization and operations of administrative programs.
- Advanced Excel, HRIS, and budget management skills.
- Strong conflict resolution skills, adept at dealing with complex issues, and experience-honed judgement.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with staff at all levels, including senior leaders.
- Ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form while involving others and persuading them in favor of decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a global and virtual organization.
- Strong organizational, administrative, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong management abilities, including project planning and oversight.
- Excellent customer service skills; helps others develop and be successful.
- Multiple accountabilities for large projects; multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Pressure from staff for immediate service.
- Confidential issues and data.
Education and Experience Requirements
This position requires a bachelor’s degree and five years or more of progressive HR Generalist experience, preferably in global organization. Experience working within a fast-paced, complex, dynamic, multicultural business environment is preferred. PHR or similar certification preferred.
How to Apply
Please email your resume, cover letter and desired salary to [email protected] with “Human Resources Manager” in the subject line. Due to the large number of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.