Board Value Proposition:
Risk, Regulation, and Governance
- Assessed risks and provided risk oversight in a highly regulated bank environment, directed health and safety portfolios across Canadian jurisdictions reducing injury rates, ensured labour compliance in non-union and unionized environments reducing risk.
- At the board level, developed agendas, chaired meetings, and led committee initiatives; applied corporate governance principles to board and committee activities.
- Oversight on corporate social responsibility initiatives, including over $1 million in philanthropy per year, building hospital screening rooms, building Canadian youth engagement for volunteering.
Corporate Strategy and Transformation
- Developed frameworks for strategic planning processes, co-led corporate transformation resulting in a more diversified EBITDA, including numerous acquisitions and integrations of Canadian and US businesses to drive synergies.
- At the board level, led strategy discussions and built organization structures.
- Designed and delivered executive and board compensation recommmendations, including base pay; short, medium and long-term incentives including various forms of equity compensation; executive benefits and perquisites; and capital accumulation plans.
- Transitioned organizations to new incentive plan designs with pay-for-performance elements linked to business strategies, bridging management and board objectives.
- Drafted proxy circular and ancillary disclosure materials regarding compensation, nominating, and governance.
CEO Succession and Talent Development
- Provided direction to boards on short-term and longer-term CEO succession matters, drafted CEO and executive employment contracts.
- Facilitated board discussions on executive bench strength and development opportunities.
- Managed corporate cultures and workforce effectiveness, and created strong employment brands for attracting and retaining strong business lead
- Commercial & Professional Services
- Diversified Commercial & Professional Svcs
- Human Resource & Employment Services
- Consumer Durables & Apparel
- Housewares & Specialties
- Consumer Services
- Leisure Facilities
- Diversified Financials
- Consumer Finance
- Automotive Retail
- Home Improvement Retail
- Movies & Entertainment
Kilberry Leadership Advisors 2012 to Present
HOMEQ Corporation and HomeEquity Bank, 2009 to 2012
Chair, Compensation, Nominating and Governance Committee
CHRO Advisory Council, HRPA 2015 to Present
Canada’s 10 Most Admired Corporate Cultures 2016 to Present
Starlight Children’s Foundation (Canada) 2008 to 2013
Chair, HR, Nominating and Governance Committee
Jean Tweed Centre for Women 2003 to 2009
Cineplex Entertainment LP 2006 to Present
Senior Vice President, Human Resources
Canadian Tire Corporation 1997 to 2006
Vice President, Corporate Human Resources
Davies, Ward & Beck (now Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg) 1980 to 1997
Chief Administrative Officer
ICD.D, Institute of Corporate Directors, 2009
Advanced HR Executive Program, Ross School of Business, University of Michigan, 2005
MBA, University of Toronto, 1990
BSA, Mount Saint Vincent University, 1980