Board Value Proposition:
Energy and Utilities Regulation Expertise
- Extensive experience in regulation of energy and utilities industries. As former board member of the National Energy Board (the NEB), had responsibility for adjudication and governance, including setting strategic direction. A seasoned regulator who effectively shaped the regulatory framework for pipelines and other midstream-industry oil and gas activities in Canada’s north, as well as LNG exports.
- In-depth knowledge of energy-related laws and regulations and general business law.
- Founding member of committee of energy regulators across Canada to share best practices.
Strong Knowledge of Good Governance Practice and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- A member of an expert panel that reviewed certain Alberta Government agencies related to energy and environment. The review focused on governance structure, succession planning, director appointment process, President/CEO assessment and remuneration processes, risk management strategies, and conflict of interest policies.
- Promoted CSR by integrating economic, social, and environmental considerations in decision-making, taking into account a wide array of viewpoints and perspectives, including aboriginal concerns. Set expectations for the industry, with an emphasis on corporate safety culture and risk management.
Solid Understanding of Finance and Capital Markets
- A leader in financial regulation of energy utilities, with landmark decisions on pipelines’ capital structure, return on equity, depreciation, tolls and tariffs, and principles of utilities regulation.
Decision-making Ability in Relation to Deeply Complex and Technical Issues
- Demonstrated ability to review and test extensive, technical, and complex evidence over wide ranging topics. As board member of the NEB, adjudicated as part of a panel on numerous public hearings rendering reasoned, written decisions on billions of dollars of pipelines facilities, including environmental assessment reports with conditions and mitigation measures to address environmental risks.
- Electric Utilities
- Gas Utilities