Department: Information Center
Reports To: Vice President & Chief Knowledge Officer
Summary of Responsibilities
Working with the Chief Knowledge Officer (CKO), the Fact Checking Specialist will develop fact checking standards and processes; thoroughly research all facts, assertions, and sources in Catalyst content to verify accuracy; ensure that all citations are correct and consistent; communicate clearly with team members to ensure timely production; and work with content creators to implement any necessary changes. Catalyst has a reputation for rigor and a dedication to accuracy, and we are looking for someone to help maintain and improve on our high standards.
- Develop and maintain cross-organizational fact checking processes and standards.
- Check accuracy of references, quotations, and facts in various Catalyst knowledge products.
- Maintain citation style standards. Train other staff members in fact checking.
- Work with researchers, content creators, editors, designers, and social media team on projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Keen attention to detail, including exacting standards to maintain accuracy and impartiality in all work products.
- Familiarity and experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods; knowledge of SPSS and NVivo is desirable.
- Basic understanding of a range of statistical techniques, including cross-tabs, regression analysis, etc.
- Experience using and analyzing governmental data.
- Ability to analyze and ensure accuracy of different types of visual depictions of data.
- Experience in managing research projects, including working collaboratively with other researchers, is highly desirable.
- Experience with using basic math.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate well with cross-functional and cross-departmental staff.
- Comfort with working independently and as part of a team to accomplish goals in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to take a leadership role in managing the work of colleagues and to train staff when needed.
- Tight deadlines.
- Multiple priorities.
- Work with confidential issues and data.
- Collaborative work environment; must be a team player with strong people skills.
- Occasional work outside of normal office hours.
- Mission-driven, creative work environment at a nonprofit organization.
Education and Requirements
Master’s degree or higher in mathematics, statistics, psychology, economics, public policy, sociology, or a related social science field. Additional degree in journalism or library science a plus. Minimum 3 years of experience in fact checking and/or research involving data analysis, including the use of SPSS, Excel, and other software. Experience in project development and management.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and salary history to email@example.com with “Fact Checking Specialist” in the subject line. The location of this position is flexible; please indicate the Catalyst office you would prefer to work from, or the city of your home office.