Department: Information Center
Reports to: Vice President & Chief Knowledge Officer
Summary of Responsibilities
Using Catalyst ‘design within a framework’ principles, the ideal candidate will communicate progressive ideas through clear, compelling infographics, maps, data visualizations, and other interactive media. The Data Visualization Specialist must have excellent technical and design skills, as well as a strong sense of visual storytelling. The Data Visualization Specialist will apply communications, graphic design, and data analysis techniques to organize the visual presentation of data in a manner that is visually appealing, and clear to the viewer. The Data Visualization Specialist will be responsible for the design and creation of dashboards, charting, and desktop/mobile interactive visualizations of business and research data.
- Create interactive data visualizations, decision trees, and information graphics using the latest modern browser development and design tools.
- Conceive and develop information graphics (e.g., charts, diagrams, maps, and icons) for digital, print, and exhibit media.
- Assist in creating, developing, coordinating, and implementing new ideas and technologies into Catalyst digital products.
- Develop and design information graphics and interactive representations of complex ideas in digital formats.
- Recommend infographic/deliverable formats (web, print and audiovisual/multi-media) and ensure that they can be used across a variety of marketing materials and channels.
- Work within current company-wide governance, branding guidelines, and standards/templates for graphics and data visualization with the ultimate goal of evolving those standards and driving Catalyst’s point of view on innovative design tools, trends, and technology.
- Collaborate with other members of the team, including librarians, researchers, designers, branding experts, IT, and executives.
- The Data Visualization Specialist may have other responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong conceptual skills and the ability to turn statistical information into opportunities for visual storytelling.
- Comprehensive understanding of the principles of visual language, typography, data visualization, and interactive design.
- Strong experience designing and presenting complex data sets in compelling visual formats.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate well with cross-functional staff.
- Must be a self-starter who can work independently when necessary.
- Requires analytical thinking and ability to read and interpret complex subject matter to produce engaging visualizations.
- Must be able to communicate ideas to produce works from concept to delivery.
- Experience in data visualization and user interaction on mobile devices.
- Expert knowledge of visualization and graphics tools, presentation tools, and other industry standard design and data presentation tools, including Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign, as well as experience with Flash, HTML5, R, or other data visualization tools/programming software and familiarity with data manipulation in programs such as Excel.
- Must exhibit a can-do, problem-solving attitude.
- Attention to detail.
- Must be e able to take direction and seek help when needed.
- Must be able to communicate directly with researchers to obtain and clarify essential information.
- Ability to facilitate graphic representations and summarize complicated information into simplified visualizations after discussing the desired outcome with key stakeholders.
- Excellent understanding of statistics/analysis/mathematics.
- An excellent listener and facilitator who knows how to draw out essential information from the data that your sources provide.
- Skill in reviewing and analyzing large quantities of complex data, and a passion for conveying information through logical visual structures.
- Confidence and experience in stakeholder management and experience working with top-level executives is desirable.
- Tight deadlines.
- Multiple priorities.
- Work with confidential issues and data.
- Collaborative work environment; must be a team player with strong people skills.
- Occasional work outside of normal office hours.
- Mission-driven, creative work environment at a non-profit organization.
Education and Experience Requirements
This position requires that the candidate have at least a BA or BFA (an MFA is preferred). Minumum 3 years of experience with infographics, design, and interactive data visualization. Expert knowledge of visualization tools, including Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Flash, as well as HTML5. Experience with project development and management.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Data Visualization Specialist” in the subject line. The location of this position is flexible; please indicate the Catalyst office you would prefer to work from, or the city of your home office.