DIVERSITY & INCLUSION DATES TO REMEMBER
Subscribe | Contact | Archive
120 Wall Street
New York, NY 10005
T (212) 514-7600
F (212) 514-8470
8 King Street East, Suite 505
Toronto, Ontario M5C 1B5
T (416) 815-7600
F (416) 815-7601
CATALYST EUROPE AG
c/o KPMG AG
6300 Zug, Switzerland
CATALYST INDIA WRC
17 Ridhi Sidhi Sadan
Tejpal Scheme Road No. 2
Vile Parle (East) Mumbai
March 2012, Volume 5 Issue 2
C What's Happening
Gain Exposure at the 2012 Catalyst Awards Conference and Dinner
The 2012 Catalyst Awards Conference and 50th Anniversary Celebration offers a tremendous visibility opportunity for organizations committed to the advancement of women and business. Virtual exhibit space is available on the Conference website, securable by Catalyst member organizations with a contribution of $250 and to non-member organizations with a contribution of $500. Participating organizations may also contribute a promotional item to the Gift Bags that attendees will receive. For additional information please contact Jean Choi, Events Coordinator, at [email protected]
Become a Mythbuster
On March 21, Catalyst and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) will present a briefing on Tackling Common Myths About Women in the Workforce and the Link Between the Gender Wage Gap and the Gender Leadership Gap in Washington D.C. After remarks from Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Ilene H. Lang, President & Chief Executive Officer, Catalyst, and Deborah M. Soon, Senior Vice President, Strategy & Marketing, Catalyst, will dismantle pervasive myths about women in leadership and present groundbreaking findings from Catalyst’s research.
Gather 'Round in London to Celebrate Catalyst
Catalyst is commemorating our history of advancing women in the workplace and we are pleased to invite members to a special Catalyst Europe Q&A Roundtable on March 9. The event, hosted by Chartis in central London, will offer an intimate setting in which attendees can pose questions related to Catalyst's journey from 1962 to 2012. Panelists include Ilene H. Lang, President & Chief Executive Officer; Brande Stellings, J.D., Vice President, Professional Services Practice; and Cheryl Yanek, Senior Associate Librarian. Jane Dennehy, Catalyst Europe Ambassador, Anglo Region, will facilitate. Register here.
Connect With Catalyst
Join Catalyst for two exciting Catalyst Connects events in Vancouver and Calgary on March 7 and April 17, respectively. The first features Kathryn Henry, Chief Information Officer, Lululemon, and Bev Park, President & CEO, TimberWest, while the second includes Janet Holder, Executive Vice President, Enbridge Inc., and Helen Wesley, Executive Vice President, Talisman Energy. This networking and mentoring series brings high-potential women together with speakers considered to be role models. Inquire for either event at [email protected].
Celebrating International Women's Day
Annually on March 8, thousands of events are held throughout the world to inspire women and celebrate achievements. Some of the events Catalyst is participating in:
- On March 6, Meryle Mahrer Kaplan, Senior Vice President, Advisory Services, will speak on a panel entitled, "Transforming the Leadership Pipeline to Advance Gender Equality and Sustainability" at the Gender Equality for Sustainable Business conference, organized by UN Women, United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women.
- On March 7, Eleanor Tabi Haller-Jorden speaks at the second annual Sister Republics: Building Bridges conference, sponsored by the U.S. Embassy in Switzerland, which will build on new research conducted by the Embassy that compares workplace issues affecting women in both Switzerland and the United States. Contact us for further details.
- On March 8, Ilene H. Lang, presents two keynote speeches and participates on two panels at Barclays' International Women's Day event in London.
- Also on March 8, Nancy M. Carter, Ph.D., Senior Vice President, Research, speaks at Citi's International Women's Day event in New York.
- Additionally on March 8, Catalyst, in association with The Law Society and The National Association of Women Lawyers, hosts the International Women in Law Summit 2012: Setting the Agenda For Change. Eleanor Tabi Haller-Jorden, General Manager, Catalyst Europe AG, and Brande Stellings, J.D., Vice President, Advisory Services, Professional Services Practice, present at the plenary session held at The Law Society in London, UK. Register online.
- On March 16, Heather Foust-Cummings, Ph.D., Senior Director, Research, presents on the history of Catalyst and women in the workplace at a Women's History Month event hosted by Cosumnes River College in Sacramento, CA.
You Can Make an App for That
Can you create an App that helps end the pay gap? Catalyst, in conjunction with the Department of Labor announces the Equal Pay App Challenge. We're asking developers to use publicly available data and resources to create innovative, easy-to-use apps that educate users about the pay gap and provide tools to combat it. Applications that best satisfy the criteria for the challenge will be eligible to receive one of eight prizes, including scholarships to attend an eight-week immersive program on digital product innovation and entrepreneurship hosted by General Assembly, a campus for technology, design and entrepreneurship. The challenge will be open for submissions until March 31. Get all the information here.
Women Lawyers Rise to the Top
Catalyst congratulates the members of the 2012 DirectWomen Board Institute, a program now in its fifth year designed to identify and promote qualified women lawyers to serve on corporate boards of public companies. The Board Institute will be held October 18-19, 2012, at The Waldorf=Astoria in New York City. The 2012 DirectWomen Class comprises an outstanding group of accomplished women lawyers that includes general counsels of Fortune 500 companies as well as partners at top firms and highly respected consultants. Both Catalyst and the ABA's Commission on Women in the Profession are partners with DirectWomen.
As We C It
5 Reasons Men Should Care
Seventy-four percent of the men we interviewed in our series, Engaging Men in Gender Initiatives, identified fear and apathy as barriers to supporting gender equality. In Catalyzing, we looked at reasons why men should care. Men have a lot to gain, and nothing to fear, from equality. Check out the compelling reasons in our Take 5.
The Path From Awareness to Outrage to Action
In CanCon, Sylvia Apostolidis, Senior Director, Member Services, shared her reaction to the powerful documentary Miss Representation. She was alarmed and angry, and tried to determine what she could do to change some of the media images that mold our broader culture. After realizing that she couldn't change the advertising industry single-handedly, she looked around her own world and found a place she could make a difference: her home and her community. Read her inspiring story.
Tweet of the Month
Women of color: past, present and future. Catalyst reflects on 15 yrs. of research. What's changed, what hasn't. http://ow.ly/98JPL
This month it was all about investing in women, as Catalyst research made headlines across the globe: Newsweek/Daily Beast, "Why the Global Economy Needs Businesses to Invest in Women"; Hindu Business Line (India), "Investing in Women Is Good Business, Says Catalyst"; Harvard Business Review, "Help Women Take the Stage"; Financial Times, "Fixation on Gender Quotas Is a Distraction"; Wharton Magazine, "'Lead-Her-Ship' at the Wharton Women Business Conference"; Sky News (Australia), "Firms With Women Bosses More Successful."
Click Here to Stay Connected With Catalyst Through All of Our Platforms