Board Value Proposition:
Operations Acumen and Organizational Transformation
- At Pacific Blue Cross, introduced lean methodologies to make significant organizational improvements to enhance customer experience, reduce cycle time, and improve communications through huddles and visual management. Implemented numerous large, transformational projects at Pacific Blue Cross requiring significant change-management activities, including: the implementation of new disability and life claims system for BCLife; a highly successful project to significantly expand use of existing space and implement a new integrated HRIS and payroll system, including a time-capture system for unionized staff.
Strategic Planning and Execution
- Oversaw the creation and implementation of a new strategic plan for BC Life to bring the company back to profitability. The company’s financial results for year-end 2009 were the best in BC Life’s history—from a 2007 net loss of $1.2 million to a 2008 profit of $640,000 and in 2009 a profit of $4.2 million.
- Led Pacific Blue Cross during the CEO’s absence and a time of significant internal business transformation. Led the development of the strategic plan and the execution approach and processes.
- Key contributor to strategic plan that focused on financial sustainability, allowing Pacific Blue Cross to improve profitability and the balance sheet by more than $150 million.
Labor Relations and Human Resources
- Negotiated a number of successful collective agreements through periods of complex mergers and acquisitions both at Pacific Blue Cross and Canadian Airlines International. Collaborated with various unions using an interest-based approach to achieve corporate objectives. Created new HR practices, processes, and programs to align culture to support the achievement of strategic business goals.
- Life & Health Insurance
E-Comm 911 2015 to Present
Human Resources Committee
Vancouver Native Health Society 2015 to Present
Pacific Salmon Endowment Fund Society 2015 to Present
Pacific Salmon Foundation 2007 to 2015
Chair, Governance Committee
Pacific Blue Cross and BC Life and Casualty Company 1997 to Present
Chief Operating Officer
Senior Vice President, BC Life Operations
Senior Vice President, Human Resources
Canadian Airlines 1986 to 1997
Manager, Labour Relations
Supervisor, Labour Relations
Labour Relations Analyst
ICD.D, Institute of Corporate Directors, 2011
CHRP, BC Human Resources Management Association, 1998
BComm (Ind. Rel.), University of British Columbia, 1983